1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum entropy and thermal equilibrium

1. Oct 13, 2006 #1
    3) An object of mass m1, specific heat c, and temperature T1 is placed in contact with a second object of mass m2, specific heat c2 and temperature T2>T1. As a result, the temperature of the first object increases to T and the temperature of the second object decreases to T'.

a) Show that the entropy increase of the system is

deltaS = m1c1 ln(T/T1) + m2c2ln (T'/T2)

b) Show that energy conservation requires that

m1c1(T-T1) = m2c2 (T2-T')

c)Show that the entropy change in S, considered as a function of T, is a maximum if T' = T, which is just the condition of thermodynamic equilibrium.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

step by step with the variables...
  4. Oct 13, 2006 #3
    This is what I get

a) This is a calculation of an entropy change for an irreversible process. Since entropy is a state function, ΔS is independent of path. All we have to do is imagine a reversible path which will effect the same change and calculate the entropy change for the reversibly path.

ΔS_total = ΔS_cold + ΔS_hot

ΔS_total = m1c1 integral T1 to T (dT/T) + m2c2 integral T2 to T' (dT/T)

ΔS_total = m1c1 ln(T/T1) + m2c2 ln(T'/T2)

b) C = Q/dT

therefore m1(Q/dT)(T-T1)=m2(Q_2/dT)(T2-T')

Due to conservation of energy, these two equations must be equal. Because the Heat capacities differ, T and T' are different as well.
    I know the specific heat is somehow supposed to cancel out the temp change but Im not sure what dt = for each side. somebody help :confused:

C) no clue what do do here, maybe integrate from T to T'? :confused:
  5. Oct 13, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

c) you must get the total differential of S considered as a function of T (i.e. an equation of the form dS = f(T)dT +...

And since a max in entropy means dS=0, what condition does this set on f(T)?
  6. Oct 13, 2006 #5
    total differential would be f(t)dt+f(t1)dt+f(t2)dt+f(t')dt?

sorry, I'm very bad at calculus.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?