Maximum height of a toy rocket?

In summary, the toy rocket was launched vertically from ground level and reached a maximum height of 232.67 meters, with an initial velocity of 60 m/s and an acceleration of -9.8 m/s^2. This was calculated by using the formula for displacement and combining the two parts of the rocket's trajectory.
physicsgurl12
maximum height of a toy rocket??

Homework Statement

A toy rocket is launched vertically from ground level(y=0) at time t=0s. The rocket engine provides constant upward acceleration during the burn phase. At the instant of engine burnout, the rocket has risen to 49 m and acquired a velocity of 60m/s. The rocket continues to rise in unpowered flight, reaches maximum height, and falls back to the ground. The maximum height reached by the rocket is closest to
A. 244m
B. 256m-wrong
C. 221m
D. 233m
E. 209m

Homework Equations

y=vy*t+1/2g*(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

0= 60m/s*t+4.9m/s^2(t^2)
yaya not sure what i just did.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try another of the kinematic equations, knowing that when the rocket reaches the top of its flight, its motion comes to a temporary stop.

would it be something like vf^2=v0^2+2g(change in)y ??

physicsgurl12 said:
would it be something like vf^2=v0^2+2g(change in)y ??

Close! :smile:
Actually vf^2=v0^2-2g(change in)y
since the acceleration is -g.

okay but now i forgot what i need to plug in where. i know vf is 60 and i know g but am i looking for y or v0?

I would solve it by finding how high the rocket went with the constant acceleration and then the velocity at the time that the acceleration stops. Then I would put the final velocity as the initial velocity for the second equation of displacement formula. Take the derivative of that and solve for time when the velocity is zero (at its highest point). Then I would think about what left I have to do to solve for the total displacement traveled at its highest point.

okay you just lost me. too much at once.

physicsgurl12 said:
okay but now i forgot what i need to plug in where. i know vf is 60 and i know g but am i looking for y or v0?

You need to split the trajectory into separate parts.
First part is when the engine is burning.
The problem states it gets up to a height of 49 meters, and at that point it has a velocity of 60 m/s.

Then you get the second part of the trajectory where you need to use the formula.
At that time the "initial velocity" is 60, and the trajectory continues until the rocket is at its highest point.
What is the "change in y" for this second part of the trajectory?

uhh 3619.6m

physicsgurl12 said:
uhh 3619.6m

Uhh :uhh:
How did you get that? :confused:
Can you show your calculation?

The answer I got was closest to D. 233m. That is correct in your textbook?

umm i did 60^2 + (9.8*2)

barthayn said:
The answer I got was closest to D. 233m. That is correct in your textbook?

this textbook doesn't have answers. how did you get that??

I am not sure if I can show the step-by-step mathematics here to give you the answer. It involves basic calculus and rearranging the formulas of the the position function. A major hint is this equation:

Let up be positive:

x(t) = -1/2gt^2 + 60t, where g = 9.8 m/s/s

physicsgurl12 said:
umm i did 60^2 + (9.8*2)

I'm afraid that is not right.

Your formula is:
[tex]v_f^2=v_0^2-2g\Delta y[/tex]
To find (change in)y, you'd have:
[tex]\Delta y = {v_0^2 - v_f^2 \over 2g}[/tex]

yeah i figured it wasn't. i followed the formula you just game me and i came up with change in y= 2.5m is this right?

physicsgurl12 said:
yeah i figured it wasn't. i followed the formula you just game me and i came up with change in y= 2.5m is this right?

What person are you talking to? :tongue:

barthayn said:
What person are you talking to? :tongue:

i was talking to i like serena, his equation was easier to figure out than yours was.

physicsgurl12 said:

Noooooooo. :wink:

Try:
[tex]\Delta y = {v_0^2 - v_f^2 \over 2g} = {60^2 - 0^2 \over 2 \cdot 9.8}[/tex]

My equation is the position traveled when gravity takes over. It is simplified to x(t) = -4.9t^2 + 60t

I like Serena said:
Noooooooo. :wink:

Try:
[tex]\Delta y = {v_0^2 - v_f^2 \over 2g} = {60^2 - 0^2 \over 2 \cdot 9.8}[/tex]

haha i think i forgot to sqaure 60. now i got 183.67

physicsgurl12 said:

Great! Now combine it to the first amount of distance traveled to get the highest point.

physicsgurl12 said:

Good! :smile:

Now add the height that was achieved in the first part of the trajectory?

232.67! that's close to 233. yay we did it!

physicsgurl12 said:
232.67! that's close to 233. yay we did it!

Yupperz! :rofl:

Yay! :smile:

1. What factors affect the maximum height of a toy rocket?

The maximum height of a toy rocket is affected by several factors, including the design and construction of the rocket, the weight and distribution of its payload, the amount and type of fuel used, and the launch angle and velocity.

2. How can I calculate the maximum height of a toy rocket?

To calculate the maximum height of a toy rocket, you will need to know the initial velocity of the rocket, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time it takes for the rocket to reach its maximum height. This can be done using the equations of motion or with the help of a simulation program.

3. Is there a limit to the maximum height a toy rocket can reach?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum height a toy rocket can reach. This limit is determined by the laws of physics, including the amount of thrust generated by the rocket's engine, air resistance, and the effects of gravity.

4. How can I improve the maximum height of my toy rocket?

To improve the maximum height of your toy rocket, you can make modifications to its design, such as reducing its weight, increasing the amount of fuel used, or changing the angle of launch. You can also experiment with different types of fuel and engines to see which produces the best results.

5. Are there safety precautions I should take when launching a toy rocket to its maximum height?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when launching a toy rocket to its maximum height. This includes choosing a clear and open launch area, wearing protective gear, and following the manufacturer's instructions for assembly and launch. It is also important to have adult supervision and to never launch the rocket towards people, buildings, or other potential hazards.