1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maximum Parallel Force of an Object

1. Nov 22, 2006 #1
    "For a 7.5 kg object on a horizontal surface that has a coefficient of static friction where us = 1.0, and a coefficient of kinetic friction where uk = 0.8, the maximum parallel force which will not set the object in motion is?"

a) 23.5 N
    b) 51.2 N
    c) 60.0 N
    d) 73.5 N
    e) 81.3 N

This is the first problem I've ever done with the coefficient of static and kinetic friction. I have these formulas; F fr = ukFN; Fmax = usFN

Im not sure if thats all I need. I do know that the Normal force (FN) is 71.8, but Im not sure how to go about finding the "max parallel force". If I solve for "Fmax" I get 71.8, but that leaves out the coefficient of static friction. I think I need help
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2006 #2
    You want to keep your object stationary, correct? So you don't even need the coefficient of kinetic friction at all.
  4. Nov 22, 2006 #3
    well, yea, I guess I dont need the coefficient of kinetic friction.
  5. Nov 22, 2006 #4
    hold on, I was mistaken when I said 71.8 was the normal force. 7.5 * g = 73.5.......which is the weight = FN. then, FN * 1 = FN, which is 73.5.

Thanks for the help moose
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?