1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell-Boltzmann speed distribution derivatives

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

Molecules move into a vacuum chamber from an oven at constant T. The molecules then pass through a slit. They reach two rotating discs before finally reaching a detector.

Show that a molecule that passes through the first slit will reach the detector if it has speed, u = ωL/θ.

After it passes through the slit, the beam of particles is directed towards 2 discs that are a fixed distance apart (L). They both have a notch in them, the 2nd disc's notch is offset from the 1st by 1/6∏. T is constant, common angular speed is ω & L = 0.262m.

My question is, do I simply say that the most probable speed is equal to u?

√(2KT/m) = u = ωL/θ

Any clues would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you are looking too deep into the question. It's not about velocity distribution but they have given you a 'scenario' for a fairly straightforward dynamics problem. They just want to find which speed will get "a" molecule through the shutter which the two spinning slits present.

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    You're absolutely right, I completely over-thought the problem. So,

t1 = Time particle takes between the 2 discs = d/u = L/u

t2 = Time taken for disc 2 to reach correct position = θ/ω

For a particle to pass through both notches & hit detector, t1 must equal t2

So,

L/u = θ/ω → Lω/u = θ → u = Lω/θ

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook