Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell equations + scalar and vector potentials

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    Im doing some study on scalar and vector potentials in the area of electromagnetics, and the author of the book derived this equation

[tex]\vec{E} = -j\omega\vec{A} - \nabla\phi[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] = vector potential and

[tex]\phi[/tex] = scalar potential and

[tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = time harmonic form of electric field

The author goes on to make a statement saying this may be a familiar result, however Im not sure exactly what he is referring to ?? Can anyone shed some light ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like one of these.
    What is j, is it [itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex]? Is a specific vector potential given (say, [tex]A \propto e^{-j \omega t}[/tex]?)

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3

clem

Science Advisor

The author probably assumes you have read an intermediate level EM textbook.

5. Dec 7, 2008 #4

j = sqrt(-1). The textbook assumes a general vector potential (where at this stage only the curl of the vector potential has been defined)

6. Dec 7, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, as I said, the Maxwell equations contain
    [tex]\vec E = \frac{\partial \vec A}{\partial t} - \vec\nabla\phi[/tex]
    so if A is something like [tex]\vec A = \vec A_0 e^{-j\omega t}[/tex] then you would get what you posted. That's all I can guess based on your information,

7. Dec 8, 2008 #6
    Sorry, didn't notice your wikipedia link. Will look into it and get back to you !

8. Jan 17, 2009 #7
    i'm not quite sure about what j and omega presents,but the formula seems to be written in the form that satisfy helmhotlz's theorem,hope it help...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?