1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maxwell equations + scalar and vector potentials

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    Im doing some study on scalar and vector potentials in the area of electromagnetics, and the author of the book derived this equation

[tex]\vec{E} = -j\omega\vec{A} - \nabla\phi[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{A}[/tex] = vector potential and

[tex]\phi[/tex] = scalar potential and

[tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = time harmonic form of electric field

The author goes on to make a statement saying this may be a familiar result, however Im not sure exactly what he is referring to ?? Can anyone shed some light ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like one of these.
    What is j, is it [itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex]? Is a specific vector potential given (say, [tex]A \propto e^{-j \omega t}[/tex]?)

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3

clem

Science Advisor

The author probably assumes you have read an intermediate level EM textbook.

5. Dec 7, 2008 #4

j = sqrt(-1). The textbook assumes a general vector potential (where at this stage only the curl of the vector potential has been defined)

6. Dec 7, 2008 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, as I said, the Maxwell equations contain
    [tex]\vec E = \frac{\partial \vec A}{\partial t} - \vec\nabla\phi[/tex]
    so if A is something like [tex]\vec A = \vec A_0 e^{-j\omega t}[/tex] then you would get what you posted. That's all I can guess based on your information,

7. Dec 8, 2008 #6
    Sorry, didn't notice your wikipedia link. Will look into it and get back to you !

8. Jan 17, 2009 #7
    i'm not quite sure about what j and omega presents,but the formula seems to be written in the form that satisfy helmhotlz's theorem,hope it help...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?