Maxwell's 4th equation. BUT, curl of H is zero everywhere

• Thread starter ugenetic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curl Zero
In summary, the expression for the magnetic field generated by current is curl(H) = 0 everywhere except in x=y=0.
ugenetic
please go to "Wolfram Alpha" website, (google the term) and copy paste the following formula:

curl ( (-y/(x^2+y^2), x/(x^2+y^2), 0)

you can see the result is zero

I think that's the expression of H surrounding a current. what am I missing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try this:

curl ( I(Sqrt(x^2+y^2)) (-y/(x^2+y^2), x/(x^2+y^2), 0) / (2 Pi) )

Where I(r) = I(Sqrt(x^2+y^2)) represents the current flowing within radius r.

I don't think your equation was correct. and I think curl of H outside of the wire SHOULD be zero. it should be I / Sqrt (x2 + y2) and x direction's expression should be -y/ sqrt(x2 + y2)

Can you provide more information regarding the question?

ugenetic said:
I don't think your equation was correct. and I think curl of H outside of the wire SHOULD be zero. it should be I / Sqrt (x2 + y2) and x direction's expression should be -y/ sqrt(x2 + y2)

My suggestion was to assume a current distribution I(r) that is not concentrated on x=y=0, but spread around x=y=0.
Moreover, I suggest to assume any distribution of current I(r) (total current within radius r).
That leads to a magnetic field H = I(r)/(2 ∏ r) eΘ .
Replacing r as a function of (x,y,z) and taking the curl on Wolfram Alpha will help you understand what happens.

The clue is that with a continuous function I(r), the curl will give you the current density j = I'/(2πr) .

The reason why you got zero, is obviously because the derivation on Wolfram Alpha applies only on the domain of continuous functions. But you magnetic field is singular in x=y=0.

Have a check!
Simply paste this on Wolfram Alpha:

curl ( I(Sqrt(x^2+y^2)) (-y/(x^2+y^2), x/(x^2+y^2), 0) / (2 Pi) )

And analyze the result:

I'(sqrt(x^2+y^2)) / (2 pi sqrt(x^2+y^2)) e_z

=

I'(r) / (2 pi r)

You will recognize there the current density j.
Note also that, in the problem you wanted to solve, I'(r) is zero everywhere except in x=y=0.

If you already followed a course on the theory of distribution you could take for I a Gaussian distribution with a variable width w.
In the limit of w->0, you will verify that j=curl(H) will tend to the Dirac delta distribution.

Last edited:
Excellent answer, thank you

I did check, but the notation of i (r) threw me off a bit, I just assumed that we are talking about the air portion of the H.

so, maxwell's 4th equation in point form means: the rotating tendency of an Magnetic field (H) at a POINT = current density at THAT point plus if there are any changing E field.
that's why in my infinitesimally small current will produce curl(H) = 0 every where, a scenario not possible in the real world. But, it is good to know that H generated by current will have curl of zero in air. (not counting the displacement current business)

1. What is Maxwell's 4th equation?

Maxwell's 4th equation is one of the four fundamental equations in electromagnetism, also known as the Maxwell's equations. It describes the relationship between the magnetic field, H, and the electric current, J, in a given space.

2. What does the "curl of H is zero everywhere" mean?

This statement means that the curl (rotational tendency) of the magnetic field, H, is equal to zero at every point in space. In other words, the magnetic field does not exhibit any rotational behavior, it is purely divergent or convergent.

3. Why is the curl of H being zero important?

The fact that the curl of H is zero is important because it is a direct consequence of the conservation of electric charge, which is a fundamental law in electromagnetism. It also leads to the conclusion that the magnetic field is always solenoidal, meaning that it forms closed loops and does not have any sources or sinks.

4. Does the curl of H being zero mean that there is no magnetic field?

No, the curl of H being zero does not imply the absence of a magnetic field. It simply means that the magnetic field does not exhibit any rotational behavior. The magnetic field can still exist and have a magnitude and direction, as described by the other Maxwell's equations.

5. How is the "curl of H is zero everywhere" equation applied in real-world situations?

The equation is applied in various real-world situations, such as in the design of electrical circuits and devices, electromagnetic sensors, and in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies like electric motors and generators.