Maxwell's Equations: Help to truly understand them

In summary, Maxwell's equations are a set of equations that describe the fundamental principles of electromagnetic waves. They can be written in both differential and integral forms and involve concepts such as electric and magnetic fields, charge and current densities, and permittivity and permeability of a medium. These equations can be used to derive the wave equation, which describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves in free space. Understanding these equations requires a strong understanding of partial differential equations and boundary value problems.
TFM

Homework Statement

Help to fully appreciate Maxwell's Equations

Homework Equations

Maxwell's Equations (Differential Form):

[tex] \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]
[tex] \nabla \cdot \vec{B} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \nabla \times \vec{E} = \frac{\partial \vec{B}}{\partial t} [/tex]
[tex] \nabla \times \vec{B} = \mu_0 J + \mu_0\epsilon_0\frac{\partial \vec{E}}{\partial t} [/tex]

Maxwell's Equations (Integral Form):

[tex] \oint_{closed surface} \vec{E} \cdot dS = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\int_{volume} \rho dv [/tex]
[tex] \oint_{closed surface} \vec{B} \cdot dS = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \oint_{loop} \vec{E} \cdot dl = -\frac{d\Phi}{dt} [/tex]
[tex] \oint_{loop} \vec{B} \cdot dl = \mu_0I + \mu_0\epsilon_0 \int_{surface}\frac{\partial E}{\partial t} \cdot ds [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay. So this technically isn't a Homework Question as such. In another thread, I was told that to help with some of the more complicated parts of Electromagnetism, I need to fully appreciate what the original Maxwell Equations actually mean/represent.

Could anyone hare help me with this, Please?

Thanks,

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you have a textbook or something? A complete explanation, or even a sufficient explanation would almost certainly require a lot of background explanation and knowledge. It's hard to do that here.

I have 'Introduction to Electrodynamics' by David Griffiths

You still haven't asked any specific questions.

Well firstly, I'll put a link to the aforementioned thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=276223

So how do Maxwell's Laws really relate to Electromagnetic waves? I know the speed of light (in a vacuum) is given from them by:

[tex] c = \frac{1}{sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}} [/tex][tex] c = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}} [/tex]

But how else do they relate to EM Waves?

TFM

Firstly... you can finesse through some mathematics with Maxwells equation and derive the "wave equation" -- which is a standard partial differential equation. This derivation is available EVERYWHERE, so you can look it up (I see no reason to slog through it here). Interesting enough perhaps in free space (because of the vector nature of the periodic propagating field disturbances... the exponential respentations of which you show in your link), solutions to the wave equation are even more interesting when you talk about "boundary value problems" ... things like reflection and refraction, propagating modes in restricted geometries (waveguides), interesting effects in materials (like second harmonic generation) etc. Maxwell's equations not only provide the wave equation, but they also restrict the boundary conditions in certain ways.

Therefore, to truly understand Maxwell's Equations, I suggest you take some form of a PDE / Boundary Value Problem course, or at least read up on such (there are other neat BVP's like heat flow equations... and the wave equation also can be related to sound waves: via vibrations on 1-D strings, d2-D drumheads, and in 3-D pipes). The text I used when I took such a course was an early edition of David Power's Boundary Value Problems. I was fortunate enough to have taken it BEFORE I took an upper-level undergraduate E&M course... I'd say it helped me enormously, which is why I've always personally been fond of EM, despite other's qualms (fellow grad students dreaded when we encountered the standard rite of passage in Jackson's Electrodynamics in grad school... I found it simply routine fun. :biggrin:)

So the Wave equations from Maxwell's eqn would be when you curl of the curl E/B and get, respectively:

[tex] \nabla^2\vec{E} = \mu_0\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2\vec{E}}{\partial t^2} [/tex]

[tex] \nabla^2\vec{B} = \mu_0\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2\vec{B}}{\partial t^2} [/tex]

and since nabla^2 B gives:

[tex] \nabla^2 B = \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_x}}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_y}}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_z}}{\partial z^2} [/tex]

Edit, error in Latex above should be:
[tex] \nabla^2 B = \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_x}}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_y}}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_z}}{\partial z^2} [/tex]and similarly for E:

[tex] \nabla^E = \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_x}}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_y}}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_z}}{\partial z^2} [/tex]

Edit, error in Latex above should be:
[tex] \nabla^2 E = \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_x}}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_y}}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_z}}{\partial z^2} [/tex]and so:

[tex] \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_x}}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_y}}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_z}}{\partial z^2} = \mu_0\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2\vec{B}}{\partial t^2} [/tex]

and

[tex] \nabla^2\vec{E} = \mu_0\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2\vec{E}}{\partial t^2} [/tex][tex] \nabla^2\vec{B} = \mu_0\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2\vec{B}}{\partial t^2} [/tex]

and since nabla^2 B gives:

[tex] \nabla^B = \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_x}}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_y}}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_z}}{\partial z^2} [/tex]

and similarly for E:[tex] \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_x}}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_y}}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_z}}{\partial z^2} = \mu_0\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2\vec{B}}{\partial t^2} [/tex]

TFM

Edit: I'm not sure what went wrong above, but the order is slightly off. The final Equations should be for E:[tex] \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_x}}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_y}}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{E_z}}{\partial z^2} = \mu_0\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2\vec{B}}{\partial t^2} [/tex]

and B:[tex] \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_x}}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_y}}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2\vec{B_z}}{\partial z^2} = \mu_0\epsilon_0 \frac{\partial^2\vec{E}}{\partial t^2} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four equations that describe the fundamental laws of electromagnetism. They were first formulated by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and have been used to understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic fields ever since.

2. What is the significance of Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are significant because they unify the three phenomena of electricity, magnetism, and light into one cohesive theory. They also form the basis for modern technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.

3. How can I understand Maxwell's Equations better?

To truly understand Maxwell's Equations, it is important to have a strong understanding of vector calculus and electromagnetism. It can also be helpful to visualize the equations through diagrams and simulations.

4. How do Maxwell's Equations relate to other scientific theories?

Maxwell's Equations are a fundamental part of the broader theory of electromagnetism, which also includes concepts such as electric and magnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, and the behavior of charged particles in these fields. They also have implications for other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. How are Maxwell's Equations applied in real-world situations?

Maxwell's Equations have numerous applications in real-world situations, including the design of electrical circuits, the functioning of electronic devices, and the transmission of information through electromagnetic waves. They are also used in fields such as telecommunications, medical imaging, and satellite communication.