1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

May i know how to integrate [1 / (4 + x^2)^1/2] using trig?

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    may i know how to integrate [1 / (4 + x^2)^1/2] using trigo substitution??

pls help........

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

Well, you have a few trig identities, see which one is useful.
    Here, you could use the fact that [itex]\sec ^2 x = 1 + \tan ^2 x[/itex].

So try the substitution [itex]x = 2\tan y \Leftrightarrow dx = \frac{2}{{\cos ^2 y}}dy[/itex]

4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    oh,i got it....can u pls tell me how do you know which frigo identities to choose when u you see the question in general??(not the question above)

pls.....

5. Jan 22, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

For trigonometric substitutions, there are two fundamental identities which are often used:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
    \cos ^2 x + \sin ^2 x = 1 \Leftrightarrow \cos ^2 x = 1 - \sin ^2 x \\
    \sec ^2 x = 1 + \tan ^2 x \Leftrightarrow \tan ^2 x = \sec ^2 x - 1 \\
    \end{array}[/tex]

The first one can be used for radical expressions of the form [itex]\sqrt {a^2 - x^2 } [/itex] where you then choose the substitution [itex]x = a\sin y[/itex].
    The second one can be used for two types: yours, which was of the form [itex]\sqrt {x^2 + a^2 } [/itex] (you then do [itex]x = a\tan y[/itex]) or those of the form [itex]\sqrt {x^2 - a^2 }[/itex] (then it's [itex]x = a\sec y[/itex]).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?