Unit of MCNP Line for Neutron: Questions & Answers

In summary, the unit for the MCNP line "fm14 (1 108 102)" is neutron*barn/cm^2. The second line, "fm14 (1 108 -6 -8)", has two additional parameters that could be used to define a range for the neutron flux values. The first line, "fm14 (1 108 -6 )", only has one additional parameter after the 108. The difference between the lines could be related to different parameters or properties of the neutron flux. It is recommended to consult a forum or community for MCNP users for more specific and accurate information.
gvntr52
Hi everyone
Does anyone help about unit of below MCNP line for neutron? Is it "neutron*barn/cm^2" right ?
fm14 (1 108 102)

And also what's the unit difference between "fm14 (1 108 -6 -8)" and "fm14 (1 108 -6 )" ?

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, the unit for the MCNP line "fm14 (1 108 102)" is neutron*barn/cm^2. For the second line, the difference is that the first line has two additional parameters "-6 -8" which could be used to define a range for the neutron flux values.

Hi there,

I am not an expert on MCNP, but I can try to help with your question.

As far as I know, the unit for the MCNP line you mentioned is correct. It represents the neutron flux in units of "barns per square centimeter." "Barns" is a unit of cross-sectional area commonly used in nuclear physics.

Regarding the difference between the two lines you mentioned, the first one (fm14 (1 108 -6 -8)) includes two additional values after the 108, which are -6 and -8. These values likely represent some other parameters or properties related to the neutron flux. Without more context, it's difficult for me to say exactly what they mean. The second line (fm14 (1 108 -6)) only includes one additional value after the 108, which could indicate a different set of parameters or properties.

I hope this helps! If you need more assistance, I would suggest reaching out to a forum or community specifically for MCNP users. They may be able to provide more specific and accurate information.

Best of luck!

Related to Unit of MCNP Line for Neutron: Questions & Answers

1. What is the purpose of the MCNP line for neutron units?

The MCNP line for neutron units is used to specify the units in which the neutron interactions will be calculated in the Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) simulation code. These units are important for accurately modeling and studying neutron behavior in various materials and environments.

2. What are the available units for the MCNP neutron line?

The available units for the MCNP neutron line are centimeters (cm), meters (m), inches (in), feet (ft), and millimeters (mm).

3. How do I choose the appropriate unit for my MCNP neutron simulation?

The appropriate unit for your MCNP neutron simulation will depend on the scale and dimensions of your system. Generally, smaller systems may require smaller units such as millimeters, while larger systems may require larger units such as meters.

4. Can I change the unit of the MCNP neutron line during a simulation?

No, the unit of the MCNP neutron line cannot be changed during a simulation. It must be specified at the beginning of the simulation and remains constant throughout.

5. What are the default units for the MCNP neutron line?

The default units for the MCNP neutron line are centimeters (cm). If no unit is specified, MCNP will assume the input is in centimeters.