MCQ- Mitochondria and O2 consumption

• Biology
  • Thread starter TytoAlba95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mitochondria
In summary: Therefore, option A, which suggests no effect, is incorrect.In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electron transport/flow and phosphorylation in the context of proton gradient formation. It is concluded that both processes are dependent on each other, and therefore option A, which suggests no effect, is incorrect.
TytoAlba95
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-25 at 23.02.40.jpeg

I don't get, how option A corresponds to time point I. Electron transport/flow is independent of the phosphorylation, isn't it? Though it is not independent the other way round, i.e. the setting up of proton gradient requires the electron flow.
I think the matching should have been:
I-E, II-D, III-E.
Options:
A-no effect, as discussed above
B-no effect
C- no effect
D- inhibits Complex III, so O2 consumption will decrease
E- Substrate of Complex II, so O2 consumption will increase

According to the key, (d) is the correct option.

Physics news on Phys.org
SanjuktaGhosh said:
I don't get, how option A corresponds to time point I. Electron transport/flow is independent of the phosphorylation, isn't it? Though it is not independent the other way round, i.e. the setting up of proton gradient requires the electron flow.

No, both processes need to occur simultaneously. Proton flow requires ATP phosphorylation just as ATP phosphorylation requires proton flow. If protons could move across the membrane without ATP phosphorylation, ATP phosphorylation would not occur (As an analogy consider a hydroelectric dam. Water will not flow thorugh the dam if the turbine is not working. If the water had a way to flow around the turbine, the dam would not be efficient at producing energy).

Likes TytoAlba95 and jim mcnamara
Well, umm... when an uncoupler (thermogenin) dissipates the proton gradient it is said that the electron flow and ATP formation is uncoupled. ATP formation doesn't happen but the electron flow continues and a part of the energy which could not be channelled into ATP is converted into heat (happening in brown adipose tissue).

This was the basis of my concept that electron flow is independent of ATP formation.

SanjuktaGhosh said:
Well, umm... when an uncoupler (thermogenin) dissipates the proton gradient it is said that the electron flow and ATP formation is uncoupled. ATP formation doesn't happen but the electron flow continues and a part of the energy which could not be channelled into ATP is converted into heat (happening in brown adipose tissue).

This was the basis of my concept that electron flow is independent of ATP formation.

Yes, that is correct. However, in the absence of an uncoupler, ATP formation and proton flow are coupled and cannot occur independently.

Likes TytoAlba95

1. What is the main function of mitochondria?

The main function of mitochondria is to produce ATP (adenosine triphosphate), the energy currency of the cell, through a process called cellular respiration. This process involves the consumption of oxygen and the breakdown of glucose and other molecules to generate energy.

2. How does the level of oxygen consumption relate to the activity of mitochondria?

The level of oxygen consumption is directly related to the activity of mitochondria. As mitochondria produce ATP through cellular respiration, they consume oxygen in the process. Therefore, the more active the mitochondria are, the higher the level of oxygen consumption will be.

3. What factors can affect the rate of oxygen consumption in mitochondria?

The rate of oxygen consumption in mitochondria can be affected by various factors such as the availability of oxygen, the amount and type of fuel (glucose or fats) available for cellular respiration, and the efficiency of the electron transport chain, which is responsible for producing ATP.

4. How is oxygen consumption measured in mitochondria?

Oxygen consumption in mitochondria can be measured using a technique called respirometry, which involves measuring the amount of oxygen consumed by mitochondria in a given amount of time. This can be done using a respirometer, a device that measures changes in gas volume or pressure.

5. What happens to oxygen consumption in mitochondria under different physiological conditions?

The rate of oxygen consumption in mitochondria can vary under different physiological conditions. For example, during exercise, the demand for ATP increases, leading to higher oxygen consumption in mitochondria. In contrast, under low oxygen conditions, such as at high altitudes, mitochondria may switch to alternative forms of respiration that do not require oxygen.