MCQ: Potentiometer: Balanced Length, Resistance of Cell E

In summary: My understanding of this concept was wrong.In summary, in a potentiometer circuit, when a resistor of resistance R is connected across the terminals of the cell E, the balanced length is reduced to l/2. The internal resistance of the cell E is equal to R.
leena19

Homework Statement

In the potentiometer circuit shown,the balanced length l is reduced to l/2,when a resistor of resistance R is connected across the terminals of the cell E.The internal resistance of the cell E is
(1) R/2 (2)R (3) 2R (4) 3R/2 (5) 3R
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4080/potentiometer.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]E = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]IR

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\rho[/tex] = potential gadient
R1 is the resistance of the potentiometer wire

In the 1st case, E = I*(r+R1) = [tex]\rho[/tex] * l ?
Now when the resistor R is connected parallel to E,
V = I* R = [tex]\rho[/tex]*l/2 ?

I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to find r from this,interms of R only.
Hope someone can help.
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first case, when the galvanometer shows zero deflection at the balancing length, the current is not flowing through the galvanometer because E = ρl...(1)
In the second case
V = ER/(R + r) = ρl/2 ...(2)
Substitute the value of E from eq. (1) in eq.(2) and find the value of r in R

Thank you so much for replying!
Now,I get this,
In the first case, when the galvanometer shows zero deflection at the balancing length, the current is not flowing through the galvanometer because E = ρl...(1)
but I'm not sure I understand how you get this,
In the second case
V = ER/(R + r) = ρl/2 ...(2)

I tried doing it again using the 1st equation you provided
In the 1st case,
as you mentioned E= ρl ---------(1)
(taking I as the current through the external circuit)
after connecting the resistor in parallel and using Kirchoff's laws for this external circuit,I get
E = I(R + r) -----------(3)
therefore (1) = (3) = ρl = I(R + r) -----------(4)
In the second case,
V (for the resistor only) = ρl/2 = IR ---------(5)

Dividing (4) by (5) gives me r as equal to R,which is the same answer I get when I Substitute the value of E from eq. (1) in eq.(2) .
I would like to know if we're both doing the same thing?Is this also how you get V = ER/(R + r) = ρl/2 ...(2) or have you found the current here?

You are connecting the positive terminals of two batteries to the left end of the potentiometer wire say A. There will be a potential drop along the wire. When you slide the galvanometer contact along the wire, at one point P the potential difference across AP will be equal to E (emf). So there is no flow of current through E. That leads me to write the eq. (1). This is not equivalent to eq. (3) in your post, because in the first case there is no R in the circuit. When you connect R parallel to E, current will flow through R and r and PD across R is given by the eq. (2) in my post.

Last edited:
So there is no flow of current through E. That leads me to write the eq. (1). This is not equivalent to eq. (3) in your post, because in the first case there is no R in the circuit.

I'm sorry,I still don't understand why it's wrong to equate (1) and (3)
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4080/potentiometer.png

Before connecting the resistor, as said in your post,
E= ρl ---------(1)

Now after connecting the resistor R I've applied Kirchoffs' 2nd law to the outer circuit labelled as ABCD in the above diagram.I get
[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{ABCD}[/tex]
E = I*R + I*r
E = I(R + r) -----------------(3)
I don't know how to get V = ER/(R + r) from this circuit,without including the current 'I' in it ?

Since the magnitude of both (1) and (3) is equal to E,I equated them .

Then for the potential of the resistor R only(i.e. VBC which is equal to IR) )
Isn't VBC equal to the new balanced length ρl/2,cause it's connected in parallel?
VBC = ρl/2 = IR -------------(5) ?

leena19 said:
I'm sorry,I still don't understand why it's wrong to equate (1) and (3)
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4080/potentiometer.png

Before connecting the resistor, as said in your post,
E= ρl ---------(1)

Now after connecting the resistor R I've applied Kirchoffs' 2nd law to the outer circuit labelled as ABCD in the above diagram.I get
[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{ABCD}[/tex]
E = I*R + I*r
E = I(R + r) -----------------(3)
I don't know how to get V = ER/(R + r) from this circuit,without including the current 'I' in it ?

Since the magnitude of both (1) and (3) is equal to E,I equated them .

Then for the potential of the resistor R only(i.e. VBC which is equal to IR) )
Isn't VBC equal to the new balanced length ρl/2,cause it's connected in parallel?
VBC = ρl/2 = IR -------------(5) ?
You can equate (1) and (3). No problem. When I wrote that I was thinking about your first equation E = I(r+R1) in the first post. Even in the third post,after equation (1) you have written (taking I as the current through the external circuit) But there is no current in the external circuit.
V is nothing but VBC = I*R = E/(R+r)*R = Terminal voltage.
When you connect this to the potentiometer wire through the galvanometer, deflection in the galvanometer will be zero when PD across AP = VBC

Thanks rl.bhat!
I realize my mistake now.

1. What is a potentiometer and how does it work?

A potentiometer is an electronic instrument used to measure the voltage or potential difference between two points in a circuit. It works by using a resistive element and a sliding contact, which allows for the adjustment of the resistance and in turn, the measurement of the voltage.

2. What is the balanced length method for determining the resistance of a cell using a potentiometer?

The balanced length method involves using a known resistance in one arm of the potentiometer and a variable resistance in the other arm, with the cell being tested connected in series. The sliding contact is then moved until the potential difference between the two points is zero, indicating a balance. The resistance of the cell can be calculated using this balanced length and the known resistance.

3. Why is the balanced length method preferred over the direct deflection method for measuring cell resistance?

The balanced length method is preferred because it is more accurate and less affected by external factors such as temperature and current fluctuations. It also allows for a more precise measurement of the cell resistance by finding the point of zero potential difference, rather than relying on a direct deflection of the needle.

4. Can the balanced length method be used for any type of cell or battery?

Yes, the balanced length method can be used for any type of cell or battery, as long as the potential difference between the two points being measured is within the range of the potentiometer. The method is commonly used for measuring the internal resistance of batteries and fuel cells.

5. Is it necessary to use a potentiometer to determine the balanced length and resistance of a cell?

No, a potentiometer is not the only instrument that can be used for this purpose. Other methods such as the Wheatstone bridge or voltmeter-ammeter method can also be used. However, the potentiometer is often preferred due to its accuracy and ease of use.