ME trying to find a proper electric motor any help would be appreciated.

In summary, the team is trying to create their own automatic golf ball tee setter, but they need help finding a motor and power supply. They are also wondering if a small, geared motor or a reverse motor would be better for their application.
tectactoe
For a special project, a team and I are trying to create our own automatic golf ball tee setter. To make a long story short, I need a motor, but I've never purchased motors before, and my EE skills are pretty weak, so I need some help... Here are some specs that I need to meet:

The motor should be pretty small.
The motor should be able to turn a shaft/plate assembly weighing about 18 lbs.
The motor should still be able to turn at the rated rpm when ~20 lbs of golf balls are on top of it.
The motor will be controlled by a microcontroller (possibly an Arduino board) - not too sure about how this works... looking into it.
The RPM of the motor needs to be low (8-12 RPM)

I'm not to sure of how it will be powered (does the power go to the controller, which THEN powers the motor?) And I'm not sure how much power the motor will need and how to supply it in the correct amount (12 V, 20V, 110 V?)

Also, what kind of motor is best for this application (small, decent torque, low rpm, low power input) - AC? DC? Servo?

Any help at all is appreciated. I don't even know the best place to purchase motors like this! (The ones on McMaster-Carr are far too large).

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Barbecue grill motor would probably work.

Universal type motor geared for low speed would probably be preferred.

If want portable use 12 volt battery and DC motor with gear reducer.

If motor need to be reversed, use DC motor

www.mpja.com has some motors and gear reducers that should do what you want.

Try a microwave oven motor. It is small, good torque and speeds are really low (there are model around 6 rpm and less). Also, it's cheap.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I will look into these! Quick question about the microwave motors, though...

For ones that are similar to the kind on this page (http://www.repairclinic.com/Microwave-Motor-Parts) there they have the L1 and L2 leads to power it, is there a way to power these motors via a microcontroller using wires instead?

Thanks again!

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with finding a proper electric motor for your project. I can understand the importance of finding the right motor for your specific application.

Based on the specifications you have provided, it sounds like you will need a small DC motor with decent torque and low RPM. The power supply for the motor will depend on the type of motor you choose. For a DC motor, you will need a DC power supply, while for an AC motor, you will need an AC power supply. It is important to match the voltage and current requirements of the motor to the power supply to ensure proper functioning.

In terms of the type of motor, a DC motor would be a good option for your project as it can be easily controlled by a microcontroller such as an Arduino board. However, depending on the design of your project, a servo motor may also be a suitable choice. Servo motors are typically smaller and have a built-in control system, which could simplify the design of your project.

In terms of where to purchase the motor, I would recommend looking into online electronics stores or specialty motor suppliers. You can also reach out to your local electronics or robotics club for recommendations on where to purchase motors.

I hope this helps guide you in finding the right motor for your project. Good luck with your project!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an electric motor?

When choosing an electric motor, it is important to consider factors such as power requirements, speed, torque, efficiency, and size. You should also consider the type of application the motor will be used for and any specific features that may be necessary.

2. What types of electric motors are available?

There are several types of electric motors available, including AC motors, DC motors, stepper motors, and servo motors. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suited for different applications.

3. How do I determine the power requirements for my electric motor?

The power requirements for an electric motor depend on the specific application and load requirements. To determine the power needed, you can calculate the torque and speed required for your application and use these values to select a motor with the appropriate power rating.

4. Can I use any electric motor for my project?

No, not all electric motors are suitable for every project. It is important to choose a motor that is specifically designed for your application to ensure optimal performance and reliability.

5. What resources are available to help me find the right electric motor?

There are several resources available to help you find the right electric motor for your project. These include online motor selection tools, manufacturer websites, and technical support from motor suppliers. You can also consult with other engineers or experts in the field for their recommendations and advice.