Calculating Ratio of Electron and Positive Ion Mean Free Paths in an Ionised Gas

In summary, the formula for calculating the ratio of the mean free path of electrons to the mean free path of positive ions in an ionized gas is (KT)/(4pi root2 r^2 p). However, in cases where the gas is only somewhat ionized, the collisions of electrons with non-ionized molecules dominate the mean free path.
RichRobX
Question goes as follows:

"In an ionised gas there are positive ions and electrones moving around in collision with molecules of the gas. Calculate the ratio of the mean free path of the electrons in the gas to the mean free path of the positive ions in the gas."

As far as I can see I only need
lamda = (KT)/(4pi root2 r^2 p)

where everything will cancel except r giving r1:r2 ratio

I could assume r is roughly 1x10^-10 for the molecules, but I don't think I'm supposed to know or find r for the electron since the compton radius ( (e^2/(me c^2) ) is a little beyond what we've done.

What have i missed..?

- Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi RichBoxX,

The r in your mean free path formula refers to the radius of the molecules with which the electrons collide. See here for details: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/menfre.html

If the gas is only somewhat ionized, the mean free path is dominated by collisions of electrons with non-ionized molecules and you can ignore the collisions of electrons with positive ions.

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of calculating the ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths in an ionised gas?

The ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths in an ionised gas is important because it helps us understand the behavior and dynamics of the gas. It provides insight into the collision processes that occur between charged particles and the neutral particles in the gas, which is crucial in various fields such as plasma physics, atmospheric science, and astrophysics.

2. How is the ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths calculated?

The ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths is calculated by dividing the mean free path of electrons by the mean free path of positive ions. The mean free path is the average distance a particle travels between collisions, and it can be calculated using the kinetic theory of gases or experimental measurements.

3. What factors affect the ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths?

The ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths can be affected by various factors such as the gas density, temperature, and composition. It is also influenced by the electric and magnetic fields present in the gas, as well as the energy and velocity of the particles.

4. How does the ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths change with increasing gas density?

As the gas density increases, the ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths tends to decrease. This is because the likelihood of collisions between charged particles and neutral particles increases with higher gas density, resulting in a shorter mean free path for both electrons and positive ions.

5. What is the significance of the ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths in plasma physics?

In plasma physics, the ratio of electron and positive ion mean free paths is significant in determining the degree of ionization and the transport properties of the plasma. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in plasmas, which is important in applications such as fusion energy research and space propulsion.