Mean of a function of a random variable

In summary: Oops!In summary, the conversation discussed different methods for finding the distribution and mean of a complicated function Y of a zero-mean random variable X. These methods include using transformation theorems, moment generating functions, and Taylor series. However, for the specific case of a zero-mean distribution, using Taylor series may be the most effective method.
Apteronotus
Hi,

I have a random variable X with some zero-mean distribution.

I have a function Y of this r.v. given by something complicated
[itex]Y=(a+X)^\frac{2}{3}[/itex]

Is there an explicit way of finding the distribution of Y or even its mean?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Apteronotus said:
Hi,

I have a random variable X with some zero-mean distribution.

I have a function Y of this r.v. given by something complicated
[itex]Y=(a+X)^\frac{2}{3}[/itex]

Is there an explicit way of finding the distribution of Y or even its mean?

Thanks

Hey Apteronotus and welcome to the forums.

The general expression to find a mean is given by E[g(X)] = integral g(x)f(x)dx where f(x) is the PDF and you integrate over the domain of the random variable. For discrete replace an integral with a summation.

In your case the g(x) = (a+x)^(2/3). So if you know f(x) and its continuous, then plug g(x) in and solve the integral. If its discrete then but g(x) and find the summation.

In terms of finding the distribution of Y there are a few techniques. One technique is through transformation methods of the PDF which has to do with finding the distribution of Y = f(X) (i.e. find PDF of Y given Y = f(X)).

Other methods that are good for really complicated expressions involve finding the moment generating function and then using the characteristic equation in probability theory to get the final PDF (for continuous variables).

For your purpose, I would first look at the transformation theorems for PDF.

Take a look at the following on page 4:

http://www.math.ntu.edu.tw/~hchen/teaching/StatInference/notes/lecture7.pdf

Hi Apteronotus,

Besides the general methods explained by chiro to calculate the expected value and distributions, since in this case you have a zero mean distribution you can use Taylor to get a summatory expression of [itex]Y[/itex] and, since [itex]E(X) = 0[/itex], you have that [itex]E(Y)=a^\frac{2}{3}[/itex]

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all very much for your helpful guidance.

viraltux said:
since in this case you have a zero mean distribution you can use Taylor to get a summatory expression of [itex]Y[/itex] and, since [itex]E(X) = 0[/itex], you have that [itex]E(Y)=a^\frac{2}{3}[/itex]
That's only if X is quite small compared with a, right? E.g. the first ignored term will be -E(X2)/9a4/3.

haruspex said:
That's only if X is quite small compared with a, right? E.g. the first ignored term will be -E(X2)/9a4/3.

Well, yeah, more generally I am assuming [itex]X,Y \in ℝ[/itex], which the OP didn't say, but I think it is a fair assumption for this question.

Edit: Oh! The higher moments, I see what you mean, yeah.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of mean of a function of a random variable?

The mean of a function of a random variable is the average value of that function when evaluated at all possible values of the random variable. It is calculated by multiplying each possible value of the random variable by the probability of that value occurring and then summing all the products.

2. How is the mean of a function of a random variable related to the mean of the random variable itself?

The mean of a function of a random variable is a mathematical transformation of the mean of the random variable itself. It represents the average value of the function, rather than the average value of the random variable.

3. Can the mean of a function of a random variable ever be negative?

Yes, the mean of a function of a random variable can be negative if the function itself can take on negative values. The mean of a function of a random variable is not constrained to be positive or negative, it is simply the average value of the function.

4. How is the mean of a function of a random variable used in probability and statistics?

The mean of a function of a random variable is an important concept in probability and statistics as it allows us to calculate the expected value of a function. This can be useful in decision-making and predicting outcomes in various fields such as finance, economics, and engineering.

5. Can the mean of a function of a random variable be used to describe the entire distribution of the random variable?

No, the mean of a function of a random variable only provides information about the average value of the function. It cannot fully describe the entire distribution of the random variable, as it does not account for other important characteristics such as variance, skewness, and kurtosis.