Mean of vector field using info at surface

Your Name]In summary, the poster is trying to calculate the mean of a 3d closed surface in a 3d vector field. They have information about the vector at discrete points along the surface and the surface normal at these points. They also know that the divergence of the vector field is zero. After applying the divergence theorem and taking into account the given information, it is determined that the mean of U in this closed surface is zero.
madypa
Hello,

I have a 3d closed surface. This closed surface lies in a 3d vector field. I know the value of the vector at discrete points along the surface and the surface normal at these points. Essentially, say vector U and vector n at these points. This is the only information that I have. I need the *volume* mean of U in this closed surface. I also know that the divergence of U = 0. Seems trivial, but I can't seem to get through the calculation. Here is what I did:

mean(U) = 1/V ∫ U dV

where V is the volume enclosed by the closed surface.

Lets take the divergence on both sides, assuming mean U and U are continuously differentiable and the divergence and integration operators can be interchanged.

∇. mean(U) = 1/V ∫ ∇. U dV
= 1/V ∫_A U . n dA

So I can connect the divergence of mean of U with the information along the surface. However, I need the mean(U).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. It seems that you are on the right track with your approach. However, there are a few things to consider in order to calculate the mean of U in this closed surface.

Firstly, it is important to note that the mean of U cannot be calculated solely based on the information along the surface. It also requires knowledge of the vector field U within the volume enclosed by the surface. This is because the mean of U is a volume average, not just a surface average.

Secondly, as you mentioned, the divergence of U is zero. This means that the volume integral of the divergence of U over the enclosed volume is also zero. This can be seen from the divergence theorem, which relates the volume integral of the divergence of a vector field to the surface integral of the dot product of the vector field and the surface normal.

Therefore, using the divergence theorem, we can rewrite the equation as:

∇. mean(U) = 1/V ∫_A U . n dA = 0

This means that the mean of U is a constant value, and it is equal to zero. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is a consequence of the given information (i.e. the divergence of U is zero).

In conclusion, the mean of U in this closed surface is zero. I hope this helps to clarify your calculation. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

1. What is the definition of a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to every point in a given space, typically a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. The vectors in the field represent the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity, such as velocity or force, at each point in the space.

2. How is the mean of a vector field calculated?

The mean of a vector field is calculated by taking the average of the vectors at each point in the field. This can be done by adding all the individual vectors and dividing by the total number of vectors in the field.

3. What information is needed to calculate the mean of a vector field at a surface?

To calculate the mean of a vector field at a surface, you will need the vector values at each point on the surface. This can be obtained through measurements or by using mathematical equations to calculate the values at specific points.

4. What is the significance of calculating the mean of a vector field at a surface?

The mean of a vector field at a surface can provide valuable information about the overall behavior of the field. It can help identify areas of high or low intensity and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the field in the future.

5. How is the mean of a vector field at a surface used in practical applications?

The mean of a vector field at a surface is used in a variety of practical applications, including weather forecasting, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic field analysis. It can also be used in engineering and design to optimize the performance of structures and systems.