Meaning of subscript in partial derivative notation

In summary, the subscript ##T## in ##\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right)_T## indicates that you are keeping the variable ##T## constant while evaluating the partial derivative of ##P## with respect to ##V##.
kaashmonee

Homework Statement

I'm given a gas equation, ##PV = -RT e^{x/VRT}##, where ##x## and ##R## are constants. I'm told to find ##\Big(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\Big)_T##. I'm not sure what that subscript ##T## means?

Homework Equations

##PV = -RT e^{x/VRT}##

Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
kaashmonee said:

Homework Statement

I'm given a gas equation, ##PV = -RT e^{x/VRT}##, where ##x## and ##R## are constants. I'm told to find ##\Big(\frac{\partial P}{\partial V}\Big)_T##. I'm not sure what that subscript ##T## means?

Homework Equations

##PV = -RT e^{x/VRT}##

Thanks a lot in advance.
Firstly, in order to make sense of the notation ##\dfrac{\partial P}{\partial V}## it seems, that ##P## is a function of ##V## and other variables. I assume they all are pressure, volume and temperature. Usually I would say ##\left( \dfrac{\partial P}{\partial V} \right)_T## would mean ##\left( \left. \dfrac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right|_{V=V_0} \right)## which is the partial derivative evaluated at the point ##V=V_0##. But as temperature ##T## is hardly a volume, it means probably something else in this context. My guess would simply be ##\left( \dfrac{\partial P}{\partial V} \right)_T = \dfrac{\partial}{\partial V} P(V,T)## stretching that ##T## is constant here for the differentiation, but a variable for the resulting derivative. If evaluated at say ##V=V_0##, then it is ##\left( \dfrac{\partial P}{\partial V} \right)_T= \left( \left. \dfrac{\partial P}{\partial V}\right|_{V=V_0} \right) (V_0,T)##, i.e. the partial derivative at a certain point ##V_0## for the volume, leaving it a function of temperature ##T##.

I'm going to disagree with @fresh_42 here. It most likely means the partial of P with respect to V, but holding T constant.

From Wikpedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_derivative#Notation,
When dealing with functions of multiple variables, some of these variables may be related to each other, thus it may be necessary to specify explicitly which variables are being held constant to avoid ambiguity. In fields such as statistical mechanics, the partial derivative of ##f## with respect to ##x##, holding ##y## and ##z## constant, is often expressed as
$$\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)_{y, z} $$
For the partial you're asking about, you could rewrite the equation as ##P = \frac{-RTe^{x/V RT}}{V}##. I'm not sure exactly what your equation is supposed to be as it's ambiguous -- is the exponent on e ##\frac x {VRT}## or is it ##\frac x V RT##? If it's the former, it should have been written as ##e^{x/(VRT)}##. If it's the latter, it would be clearer as ##e^{(x/V)RT}##.
In any case, you now have P as the dependent variable, and V as the only independent variable, with x, R, and T being or acting as constants.

Last edited:
Likes Marc Rindermann
kaashmonee said:

Homework Statement

Thanks a lot in advance.
it means that you evaluate the differentiation and keep ##T## constant. Similarly you could find ##\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V## where you would treat ##V## as a constant

What does the subscript in partial derivative notation represent?

The subscript in partial derivative notation represents the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken. It indicates which variable is being held constant while taking the derivative.

Why is the subscript necessary in partial derivative notation?

The subscript is necessary in partial derivative notation because it specifies which variable is being differentiated with respect to. In cases where there are multiple variables, the subscript helps to identify which variable is being held constant.

Can the subscript in partial derivative notation be changed?

Yes, the subscript in partial derivative notation can be changed. This is because the subscript represents the variable that is being held constant, and different variables can be held constant to calculate different partial derivatives.

What is the difference between a partial derivative and an ordinary derivative?

A partial derivative is a derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. An ordinary derivative, on the other hand, is a derivative of a function with respect to a single variable without holding any other variables constant.

How is the partial derivative notation used in real-world applications?

The partial derivative notation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function with multiple variables.