1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measurement of irradiance of 2 beam interference

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I have an experiment set up to get two beam interference fringes. I would like to know how I could measure the actual amplitude of the irradiance from the experiment. I have with me a power meter and a CMOS camera. How can I go about this? Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your Camera Sensor will provide you with RGB values for each pixel. The response of the camera may not be linear - there may be a 'gamma' involved in the processing. If your power meter measures incident optical power, you could calibrate the CMOS sensor against it, to linearise the light / pixel value law. You would adjust the light level (neutral filter or iris) to vary the irradiance in a linear fashion with the power meter and look at the RGB (Y) values from the sensor. Of course, you would need to use a manual setting for the camera exposure and find a suitable range of values so that you get the 1 -256 values. A bit fiddly but quite doable with care, imo. You can then make a lookup table to convert camera values to relative illuminance.

4. Oct 7, 2014 #3
    Hi,

Thank you for your idea. I made a lookup table to convert it to power readings and found the average calibration factor for a specific exposure time. Thank you so much for the help

5. Oct 8, 2014 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm pleased that it's helped you with a solution. Digital cameras can be a brilliant 'free' piece of lab equipment.
    BTY, is your calibration curve near a straight line? Are you sure you are set to Manual - cameras can be too damned smart sometimes?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook