Measurement of Temperature question.

In summary, the student was given a mercury thermometer with only 0 and 100 degrees Celsius markings and was asked to use it to estimate the temperature of a block of ice cream. The student assumed that the frozen ice cream was about -15 degrees Celsius and was able to calculate the final temperature of the system as 2.5 degrees Celsius.
lionely
A mercury thermometer with only the 0 degree Celsius and 100 degree Celsius markings on it was given to a student, and the student was asked to use it to estimate the temperature of a block of ice cream.

I'm not sure, because the scale stops at 0 and mostly likely the temperature of ice cream is below 0. What should I do?

Can someone give me a hint please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What if we put the ice-cream in a closed system and measure the temperature change in the system?

Oh like if we put it in a plastic dish that was let's say 50 degree celcius and then we put the ice cream in and then it dropped to 10 then the temperature of the ice cream is -40?

Or melt a bowl of ice cream until its temperature is 10C, then place the frozen ice cream in the melted ice cream and allow it to reach thermal equilibrium. I would also ensure the mass of both are equal.

Oh Thank you!

I think it would be something like:
[tex]T_{final, system}=(T_{initial, melted}+T_{initial, frozen})/2[/tex]

I'm sorry I don't really understand that equation why would you divide it by 2?

Dividing it by two averages the temperatures of the melted and frozen.

Oh I see, sorry xD. So from if the melted was 10C and the frozen was -30C

then final temp would be (10C + (-30C))/2= -10C ?

Yes, and if that were the case you would still not be able read it on the thermometer unless the final temperature of the system>0. So if you get a reading of zero, you may have to further increase the temperature of the melted ice cream. Does that make sense?

So for the student to read it the ice cream must melt until about, 20C
I'm going to change my assumption and assume the frozen is about -15C

so it would be

(20C -15)/2 = 2.5C

But is it right it to make such an assumption?

You don't have to make an assumption. For example, you measure the initial temperature of the melted ice cream to be
[tex]T_{initial, melted}=10[/tex].
You then combine the melted ice cream with the frozen ice cream and allow the system to reach equilibrium at which point you will measure
[tex]T_{final, system}[/tex]
Can you now see how to determine the initial temperature of the frozen? Btw, this is assuming a closed system and is merely an approximation..

Oh yes I see how you would get the initial frozen simple mathematics stupid me. Just

find the unknown with the two known. I think I fully understand now.

What is temperature and why is it important to measure?

Temperature is a measure of the amount of heat energy in a substance or system. It is important to measure because it affects the physical, chemical, and biological properties of materials and can impact processes such as cooking, weather patterns, and industrial reactions.

What are the different units of measurement for temperature?

The most commonly used units of temperature are Celsius (°C), Fahrenheit (°F), and Kelvin (K). Celsius and Fahrenheit are both based on the freezing and boiling points of water, while Kelvin is based on absolute zero, the lowest possible temperature. Other units include Rankine and Réaumur.

How is temperature measured?

Temperature can be measured using various instruments such as thermometers, thermocouples, and infrared cameras. These instruments use different principles, such as thermal expansion, electrical resistance, and infrared radiation, to measure temperature accurately.

What factors can affect the accuracy of temperature measurements?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of temperature measurements, including the type of instrument used, the location of the measurement, and external factors such as air currents and radiation. It is important to follow proper measurement techniques and calibrate instruments regularly to ensure accurate results.

How is temperature related to other physical properties?

Temperature is closely related to other physical properties, such as pressure, volume, and density. In general, as temperature increases, these properties also increase. This relationship is described by various laws of thermodynamics and is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of materials and systems.