Measuring Disorder: The Entropy of a Tuple of Numbers

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter birulami
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Entropy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
birulami
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Hi,

not sure whether this is a good question.

How would I define the entropy of a tuple of N real numbers, each between zero and some fixed maximum value?

Of course I would expect the entropy to be minimal if they are all identical and maximal if they are all "completely random".

If [itex]v_i[/itex] are the values and [tex]M[/tex] is the allowed maximum, then

[itex]-\sum_i \frac{v_i}{M} \log(\frac{v_i}{M})[/itex]

would be my candidate. Any comments?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the entropy add when we juxtapose two tuples?
 
Hmm, not sure. I did not think of comparing different arities of tuples. I am just looking for a kind of the measure of the disorder. For example I consider

(1,1,1,1,1,1,1) to be more in order (less entropy) then (1,2,1,1,1,1,1)

but I would not want to compare, say, (1,1,1) with (1,1,1,1).

Harald.