Measuring Disorder: The Entropy of a Tuple of Numbers

• Thread starter birulami
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of entropy for a tuple of N real numbers with a fixed maximum value. The speaker proposes a formula for calculating entropy and mentions that it would be minimal if all values are identical and maximal if they are completely random. They also consider the possibility of combining two tuples and mention that they are looking for a measure of disorder.
birulami
Hi,

not sure whether this is a good question.

How would I define the entropy of a tuple of N real numbers, each between zero and some fixed maximum value?

Of course I would expect the entropy to be minimal if they are all identical and maximal if they are all "completely random".

If [itex]v_i[/itex] are the values and [tex]M[/tex] is the allowed maximum, then

[itex]-\sum_i \frac{v_i}{M} \log(\frac{v_i}{M})[/itex]

would be my candidate. Any comments?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the entropy add when we juxtapose two tuples?

Hmm, not sure. I did not think of comparing different arities of tuples. I am just looking for a kind of the measure of the disorder. For example I consider

(1,1,1,1,1,1,1) to be more in order (less entropy) then (1,2,1,1,1,1,1)

but I would not want to compare, say, (1,1,1) with (1,1,1,1).

Harald.

Related to Measuring Disorder: The Entropy of a Tuple of Numbers

1. What is entropy of a tuple of number?

Entropy of a tuple of number is a measure of the randomness or uncertainty in the distribution of the numbers in the tuple.

2. How is entropy calculated for a tuple of number?

Entropy is calculated using the formula -Σp(x)log2p(x), where p(x) is the probability of each number occurring in the tuple.

3. What does a high entropy value indicate for a tuple of number?

A high entropy value indicates that the numbers in the tuple are more random and have a higher degree of uncertainty in their distribution.

4. How is entropy used in data analysis?

Entropy is often used as a measure of the information content in a dataset. It can help in identifying patterns, outliers, and anomalies in the data.

5. Can entropy of a tuple of number be negative?

No, entropy cannot be negative. It is a non-negative value that ranges from 0 to 1, where 0 indicates complete order and 1 indicates complete randomness.