Measuring distance on scaled drawings

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measuring
In summary, to calculate the actual distance on a scaled drawing, you need to know the scale factor and multiply it by the distance on the drawing. A scale is a representation of size, while a scale factor is the numerical relationship between the size on the drawing and the actual size. The scale of a drawing can usually be found in the title block or key, and it is important to use a scale ruler or digital measuring tool when measuring distance on a scaled drawing. Some common mistakes to avoid include using the wrong scale factor, not taking into account units of measurement, and being precise when measuring.
TSN79

Homework Statement

If I measure distance on a 1:500 drawing with a device that measures distance at 1:100, what distance will I get?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking that if I multiply my answer by 5 I'll get the actual distance. Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct.

I would first clarify that the scale of a drawing refers to the ratio of the size of the drawing to the actual size of the object or space being represented. In this case, a 1:500 scale means that every 1 unit on the drawing represents 500 units in the real world. Similarly, a device that measures distance at a 1:100 scale means that every 1 unit on the device represents 100 units in the real world.

Based on this information, if you measure a distance on a 1:500 drawing with a device that measures at a 1:100 scale, you would need to multiply your measurement by 5 to get the actual distance. This is because the device is measuring at a smaller scale, so it will give a smaller measurement. Multiplying by 5 accounts for the difference in scale and gives you the correct distance in real-world units. It is important to always consider the scale when measuring distances on scaled drawings to ensure accurate measurements.

1. How do I calculate the actual distance on a scaled drawing?

To calculate the actual distance on a scaled drawing, you need to know the scale factor. This is typically given as a ratio, such as 1:100 or 1/4 inch = 1 foot. To find the actual distance, simply multiply the distance on the drawing by the scale factor. For example, if the distance on the drawing is 5 inches and the scale factor is 1:50, the actual distance would be 5 x 50 = 250 inches.

2. What is the difference between a scale and a scale factor?

A scale is a representation of size, while a scale factor is the numerical relationship between the size on the drawing and the actual size. A scale factor is usually expressed as a ratio or a fraction.

3. How do I determine the scale of a drawing?

The scale of a drawing can usually be found in the title block or key of the drawing. It may also be listed in the drawing notes or specifications. If the scale is not provided, you can determine it by measuring a known distance on the drawing and comparing it to the actual distance.

4. Can I measure distance on a scaled drawing with a regular ruler?

No, a regular ruler will not accurately measure distance on a scaled drawing. This is because the scale factor changes the relationship between the distance on the drawing and the actual distance. To measure accurately, you will need to use a scale ruler or a digital measuring tool that allows you to input the scale factor.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when measuring distance on scaled drawings?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when measuring distance on scaled drawings. One is using the wrong scale factor. Make sure you are using the correct scale for the drawing. Another mistake is not taking into account the units of measurement. If the drawing is in metric units, you will need to convert to imperial units to find the actual distance. It is also important to be precise when measuring, as small errors can lead to significant discrepancies in the actual distance.