Measuring propagation delay of 4000 logic family chips

In summary: Did you do the Google search that I suggested? That is the typical gate-based way to measure prop delay.If you try doing it with just one inverter, the input and output voltages will settle to about Vcc/2 and stay there static. No oscillation unless you stick a crystal between the input and output of the inverter.And no, forming a ring oscillator does not damage the gates. That is a standard part of an EE's "toolbox" of useful circuits.Thanks!
Bipolarity
Is there a simple way I can measure the propagation delay of my logic gates? For instance, is there a circuit I can build (using logic gates) to measure the propagation delay?

What if I tried building a circuit whose output constantly oscillates? This would certainly prove that the propagation delay is very low, but is this a good idea? Will my chip/battery die? Any expert opinions?

BiP

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bipolarity said:
Is there a simple way I can measure the propagation delay of my logic gates? For instance, is there a circuit I can build (using logic gates) to measure the propagation delay?

What if I tried building a circuit whose output constantly oscillates? This would certainly prove that the propagation delay is very low, but is this a good idea? Will my chip/battery die? Any expert opinions?

BiP

Normally you measure it using a signal generator and an oscilloscope. Are you looking for alternate ways to measure the prop delay?

If so, google "ring oscillator"...

berkeman said:
Normally you measure it using a signal generator and an oscilloscope. Are you looking for alternate ways to measure the prop delay?

If so, google "ring oscillator"...

Yes, I'm trying to measure it with logic gates alone. Well not a precise measurement (not looking for specific numbers). I am basically trying to create an experiment to show the circuit oscillating rapidly. I am just worried that the propagation delay is so low that it will damage my chip. Is it safe to create an oscillating circuit using chips manufactured in the 4000 family? Will my chip explode?

For instance, suppose I created the circuit Y = Y'. Certainly the output would constantly oscillate. But enough to damage my circuit?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
Yes, I'm trying to measure it with logic gates alone. Well not a precise measurement (not looking for specific numbers). I am basically trying to create an experiment to show the circuit oscillating rapidly. I am just worried that the propagation delay is so low that it will damage my chip. Is it safe to create an oscillating circuit using chips manufactured in the 4000 family? Will my chip explode?

For instance, suppose I created the circuit Y = Y'. Certainly the output would constantly oscillate. But enough to damage my circuit?

BiP

Did you do the Google search that I suggested? That is the typical gate-based way to measure prop delay.

If you try doing it with just one inverter, the input and output voltages will settle to about Vcc/2 and stay there static. No oscillation unless you stick a crystal between the input and output of the inverter.

And no, forming a ring oscillator does not damage the gates. That is a standard part of an EE's "toolbox" of useful circuits.

Last edited:
Thanks!

BiP

1. What is propagation delay?

Propagation delay is the time it takes for a signal to travel through a circuit or device.

2. How is propagation delay measured?

Propagation delay is measured by sending a signal through a circuit or device and measuring the time it takes for the output signal to change in response.

3. Why is it important to measure propagation delay of 4000 logic family chips?

It is important to measure propagation delay of 4000 logic family chips because it gives insight into the performance and reliability of the chips. It can also help identify potential issues or defects in the chips.

4. What factors can affect the propagation delay of 4000 logic family chips?

The propagation delay of 4000 logic family chips can be affected by factors such as temperature, voltage, and manufacturing process variations.

5. How can the propagation delay of 4000 logic family chips be improved?

The propagation delay of 4000 logic family chips can be improved by optimizing the circuit design, using better quality materials and components, and controlling environmental factors during manufacturing and operation.