Building a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
So all my 3:8 decoders have outputs only at 1 and 0. I need a tristate decoder that can be configured so that the unused outputs are open circuits (i.e. high impedance).

I know how to build a 3:8 decoder (using logic gates). How might I go about modifying it so that it has tristate outputs? Is this possible?

BiP

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
So all my 3:8 decoders have outputs only at 1 and 0. I need a tristate decoder that can be configured so that the unused outputs are open circuits (i.e. high impedance).

I know how to build a 3:8 decoder (using logic gates). How might I go about modifying it so that it has tristate outputs? Is this possible?

BiP

Would be easier to just put Tri-State buffers on the 8 outputs of the decoder, no? Or is your goal to build up the 3:8 decoder circuit to learn about it?

Would be easier to just put Tri-State buffers on the 8 outputs of the decoder, no? Or is your goal to build up the 3:8 decoder circuit to learn about it?

Thanks! That's actually what I ended up doing once I learned about the tri-state buffer. Do you happen to know the datasheets for the tri-state buffer?

BiP

berkeman
Mentor
Thanks! That's actually what I ended up doing once I learned about the tri-state buffer. Do you happen to know the datasheets for the tri-state buffer?

BiP

The '245 and '240 I think are octal Tri-State buffers. If you want slow CMOS, that would be the 74HC240 and 74HC245. If you want fast CMOS, that would be the AC or VHC families...