Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a 3:8 decoder with tristate outputs

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    So all my 3:8 decoders have outputs only at 1 and 0. I need a tristate decoder that can be configured so that the unused outputs are open circuits (i.e. high impedance).

I know how to build a 3:8 decoder (using logic gates). How might I go about modifying it so that it has tristate outputs? Is this possible?

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Would be easier to just put Tri-State buffers on the 8 outputs of the decoder, no? Or is your goal to build up the 3:8 decoder circuit to learn about it?

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3
    Thanks! That's actually what I ended up doing once I learned about the tri-state buffer. Do you happen to know the datasheets for the tri-state buffer?

BiP

5. Apr 16, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The '245 and '240 I think are octal Tri-State buffers. If you want slow CMOS, that would be the 74HC240 and 74HC245. If you want fast CMOS, that would be the AC or VHC families...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook