Measuring Spin of Electrons Along X, Y & Z Axes

In summary: For example, the first equation has \left|u \right\rangle and \left|d \right\rangle both equal to 1. If you normalized them then \left|u \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|u\right|-\left|d \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|d\right| and \left|+x \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|x\right|+\left|-x \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|x
nurrifat
σx|x>=+|x>
σx|-x>=-|-x>

These equations also follows for σy and σz corresponds states |y> and |z>.
if we measure along axis X then X state vector let it go which means up spin and opposite not go through which means down spin.

and also same for y and z axis.

But,
σx|u>=|d> σx|d>=|u>

σy|u>=i|d> σy|d>=-i|u>

σz|u>=|u> σz|d>=-|d>

these 3 equations can't make any sense to me. i can't draw any physical meaning to these equations.

here 1st equation shows if up spin electron goes through along X axis then after measurement spin wilbe down.but this up electron has to be up for any specific axis??right?? without axis up down is unmeaningfull.isn't it??

Physics news on Phys.org
nurrifat said:
if we measure along axis X then X state vector let it go which means up spin and opposite not go through which means down spin.
opps mayb i complexed the sentence

if we measure along axis X and then if state X goes through it shows electron spin up and if not go then it means electron spin is down.

It seems to me the u and d states are superpositions of the eigenstates of the spin operators. For example, for the first equation one you could say
[itex] \left|u \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|+x \right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|-x \right\rangle[/itex]
[itex]\left|d \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|+x \right\rangle - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|-x \right\rangle[/itex]

and the equation is okay. Furthermore, I'd just change my labels like so (because what I name each axis is arbitrary)
[itex]x → z[/itex]

[itex]u → +x[/itex]

[itex]d → -x[/itex]

So it looks like the expression you may have see in your textbook.

[itex] \left|+x \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|+z \right\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|-z \right\rangle[/itex]
[itex]\left|-x \right\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|+z \right\rangle - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left|-z \right\rangle[/itex]

Try to see if you can find a superposition of eigenstates that work for the others to make sure you understand. Remember to make sure the states are normalized.

Related to Measuring Spin of Electrons Along X, Y & Z Axes

1. What is the purpose of measuring the spin of electrons along the X, Y, and Z axes?

The purpose of measuring the spin of electrons along the X, Y, and Z axes is to better understand the behavior and properties of electrons. This information can be used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, materials science, and electronics.

2. How is the spin of electrons measured along the X, Y, and Z axes?

The spin of electrons can be measured using a technique called electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy. This involves applying a magnetic field to a sample of electrons and then using electromagnetic radiation to measure the energy changes of the electrons as they transition between different spin states.

3. What are the possible results of measuring the spin of electrons along the X, Y, and Z axes?

The possible results of measuring the spin of electrons along the X, Y, and Z axes include obtaining information about the quantum mechanical properties of electrons, their magnetic moments, and their interactions with other particles. This data can also be used to study the structure and dynamics of materials.

4. How does the spin of electrons along the X, Y, and Z axes affect their behavior?

The spin of electrons along the X, Y, and Z axes can affect their behavior in various ways. For example, it can influence their movement, their interactions with other particles, and their response to external stimuli such as magnetic fields. Understanding the spin of electrons is crucial in developing new technologies and materials.

5. What are some applications of measuring the spin of electrons along the X, Y, and Z axes?

Measuring the spin of electrons along the X, Y, and Z axes has many applications in fields such as quantum computing, spintronics, and magnetic resonance imaging. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the electronic properties of materials and developing new technologies for various industries.