Measuring the coefficient of friction

In summary, we discussed finding the coefficient of friction for a metal mass sliding down a wooden slope with given parameters. The formula used was mu = (mg sin theta - ma) / (mg cos theta). The unnecessary steps can be eliminated to simplify the formula to mu = (sin theta - a/g cos theta). The frictional force can be calculated by substituting the value of mu in Ff = mu Fn.
Lobber
What is the coefficient of friction for a metal mass sliding down a wooden slope?
Mass=0.50kg
Slope distance=1.83m
Angle=54 Degrees
Time=1.06 s
Vi=0m/s
g=9.81m/s/s
For this question we had to write out a formula and find mu.

I first found acceleration to be 3.257m/s/s, Friction force to be 4.9255N, Natural force to be 4.201N, and mu to be 1.1725.

My formula was:
D-Vi*T/0.5T^2=A
Fnetx=Fnetx
Fx=Max
Ax=(cos theta)A
Fg=mg
Fgx=mg(sin theta)
Fx=Ff-Fgx
Fx+Fgx=Ffx
Fnety=Fnety
Fy=MAy
Ay=(Sin theta)A
Fg=Mg
Fgy=Mg(cos theta)
Fy=Fny-Fgy
Fy+Fgy=Fn
Ff=mu Fn
Ff/Fn=mu

I know it have a lot of unnecessary steps in there but it is to show where my forces are coming from and what they are (my teacher is a step Nazi and everything must be written down no matter how useless and repetitive...) Now my question is whether or not that formula is correct, if my answers are correct, and if/how the formula can be shortened.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lobber said:
What is the coefficient of friction for a metal mass sliding down a wooden slope?
Mass=0.50kg
Slope distance=1.83m
Angle=54 Degrees
Time=1.06 s
Vi=0m/s
g=9.81m/s/s
For this question we had to write out a formula and find mu.

I first found acceleration to be 3.257m/s/s,

That is correct. I get the same as well.

Lobber said:
Friction force to be 4.9255N, Natural force to be 4.201N, and mu to be 1.1725.
Friction force is 4.925 N? I think you should recheck that. :uhh:

You needn't work out this many steps
[tex]mg sin\theta - \mu mg cos\theta = ma[/tex]
After calculating acceleration, substitute the value in the above equation to get
[tex]\mu = \frac{mg sin\theta - ma}{mg cos\theta}[/tex]
You can cancel out [tex]m[/tex] from the above and calculate.

Lobber said:
I did and got the same answer which means I have a formula problem...

You needn't calculate frictional force at all if you're looking only for coefficient.

Well the main purpose of the assignment to to get the coefficient but we also need the Ff and Fn and how we got to all 3 in the most basic of steps... Sign and I thought I finally had my formula...

Is your answer correct now? You can find out frictional force after calculating [tex]\mu[/tex]

I don't know don't have the answers for it... the answer I did get for your formula was mu=.811

What I need it a formula that relates Fnety=MAy and Fnetx=MAx to related normal force and friction force and how the formula is derived.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It is represented by the symbol "μ" and is a unitless value.

How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction is typically measured by using a device called a tribometer, which applies a force to a surface and measures the resulting frictional force. It can also be calculated by dividing the force required to move an object by the weight of the object.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by a variety of factors, including the materials of the two surfaces in contact, the surface roughness, the presence of lubricants, and the amount of force applied.

Why is measuring the coefficient of friction important?

The coefficient of friction is important in many practical applications, such as designing machinery, determining the safety of walking surfaces, and predicting the performance of vehicles. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion.

What are some real-life examples of the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be observed in everyday activities such as walking on different surfaces, using brakes on a car or bike, and even opening a jar lid. It also plays a crucial role in sports, such as determining the grip of a tennis shoe on a court or the speed of a hockey puck on ice.