Mechanical Engineering Student with Fluid Mechanics Problem

In summary, the conversation was about a mechanical engineering student seeking help with a fluid mechanics problem involving a horizontal circular pipe and the expression for the drag force exerted on the pipe wall. The student was unsure of how to approach the problem and was given a hint to use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the pressure and shear stress forces, and then add them together to get the total drag force.
Spimon
Hey everyone! I'm having difficulty and wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me figure out how to approach this problem. I'm a mechanical engineering student and reasonably new to fluid mechanics, and quite confused. :blushing:
Thanks for any help anyone can give me :smile:

Homework Statement

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6383/pipedg4.jpg
http://g.imageshack.us/img522/pipedg4.jpg/1/

An incompressible fluid enters a horizontal circular pipe (at inlet 1) with uniform velocity, Uo, as shown. Pipe radius R. At some distance downstream (section 2), the fluid velocity becomes parabolic as per the equation below.

Q.Obtain an expression for the drag force by the flowing fluid on the pipe wall over the length 1-2 in terms of pressure at sections 1 and 2, fluid density p, pipe radius R and inlet velcity, Uo.

Homework Equations

Fluid Velocity @ 2.
U = U(centre) [1-(r/R)^2]
where U is the velocity at radial distance r, and U(centre) is the velocity along the centre line.

From the mention of pressure and velocity, I would guess Bernoulli's equations is needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this problem. If someone could give me some pointers I'll attempt it, but at the moment I'm very lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:The drag force on the pipe wall can be defined as a sum of the pressure forces and shear stress forces. You'll need to calculate the pressure forces first, followed by the shear stress forces. To do this, you'll need to use Bernoulli's equation to relate the pressure at each section to the velocity at that section. Once you have the pressure forces, calculate the shear stress forces using the equation for dynamic viscosity. Then you can add them together to get the total drag force.

Dear mechanical engineering student,

I understand your struggle with fluid mechanics problems and I am more than happy to help you out. First, let's start by understanding the problem and the given information. The problem describes an incompressible fluid entering a horizontal circular pipe with uniform velocity at the inlet. This means that the fluid velocity at the inlet (section 1) is equal to the velocity of the fluid at any cross-section along the pipe. We are also given the equation for the fluid velocity at section 2, which is parabolic in nature.

To solve this problem, we will need to use Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in a system. We will also need to use the continuity equation, which states that the mass flow rate at any cross-section in a pipe is constant.

Now, let's focus on the specific question of obtaining an expression for the drag force on the pipe wall. The drag force is caused by the pressure difference between the two sections (1 and 2) and the frictional force between the fluid and the pipe wall. To find the pressure difference, we can use Bernoulli's equation at sections 1 and 2:

P1 + 1/2ρU1^2 = P2 + 1/2ρU2^2

where P is the pressure, ρ is the fluid density, and U is the velocity at each section. Since the density is constant, we can rearrange this equation to solve for the pressure difference:

P1 - P2 = 1/2ρ(U2^2 - U1^2)

Next, we can use the continuity equation to relate the velocities at sections 1 and 2:

A1U1 = A2U2

where A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe. Since the pipe is circular, we can substitute A = πR^2. Now, we can solve for U2 in terms of U1 and plug it into our equation for the pressure difference:

P1 - P2 = 1/2ρ(U1^2[(r/R)^2 - 1])

Finally, we can use the definition of drag force (Fd = P1 - P2) and substitute our expression for the pressure difference to obtain the final equation for the drag force on the pipe wall:

Fd = 1/2ρ(U1^2[(r/R)^2 - 1])

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, analysis, and production of mechanical systems. This can include anything from small individual components to large complex machines.

2. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of fluids (liquids and gases) at rest and in motion. It involves studying the forces and motions of fluids, as well as the properties and characteristics of fluids.

3. What kind of problems do mechanical engineering students face when studying fluid mechanics?

Some of the common problems that mechanical engineering students may face when studying fluid mechanics include understanding complex mathematical equations, visualizing and interpreting fluid flow patterns, and applying theoretical concepts to real-world engineering problems.

4. How do mechanical engineering students solve fluid mechanics problems?

Mechanical engineering students solve fluid mechanics problems by applying various mathematical and analytical tools such as calculus, differential equations, and computer simulations. They also use physical principles and experimental data to analyze and design systems that involve fluid flow.

5. What are some career options for a mechanical engineering student with a specialization in fluid mechanics?

A mechanical engineering student with a specialization in fluid mechanics can pursue a career in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and manufacturing. Some job roles may include fluid dynamics engineer, design engineer, research and development engineer, or project manager.