Mechanical engineering Swing of Death

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of converting a given angle of 40° to a rmp value and determining the radius of a wheel being hauled up a slope by a wire attached to its axle. The problem also asks for the necessary speed of rotation and the tension of the wire. The expert suggests using trigonometry to calculate the radius and the speed, and explains how to find the tension using equations.
gl0ck
Hi there,
again maybe stupid question but I have no idea about this exercise.
or maybe a little clue. i know that v=r?
but with the given 40° when i convert it to a rmp it is very small value 0.111111
and the r is 3m or 7m..
Please if someone can help me..
also if someone can help me with the FBD of A wheel being hauled up a slope by a wire attached to its axle.

Attachments

• swing of death.png
    swing of death.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
You should show your working before asking for help.

and the r is 3m or 7m.

For example how did you arrive at two values? Neither match the answer I got.

I just wondered if the r is equal to the wire attached or the whole body of the swing?
that is how i find 3m and 7m because the string is 3m long and the whole body is 7m

Neither.

With the wire hanging down vertically the radius would be 4m. With the ride spinning around at very high speed the wires would fly out and up until almost horizontal and the radius would be approx 4 + 3=7.

However the problem asks what speed is necessary for them to be at a 40 degree angle to the vertical. You can use basic trig to work out the exact radius. It's 4M + ?M in the diagram...

Attachments

• ride.jpg
    ride.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
Re your PM. Best I reply on thread so anyone else with similar question sees the follow up..

Thanks for the replies on both of the topics.
i)So the high should be 3*(1-cos40) = 3*(1-0.766) = 0.7019? and the total radius should be 4.7019?

No the radius would be..

= 4M + ?M see my diagram.
= 4 + 3Sin(40)
= 4 + 1.93
= 5.93m

To find the speed of rotation in RPM v=r*? but how to find the ? ?
ii)also the tension must be equal to mg/cos40?
iii)still don't have any idea

Since it's not moving vertically the vertical components must sum to zero.

Lets take downwards as +ve

-T*cos(40) + m*g = 0
so
T = m*g/cos(40).........(Eq 1)

Now for the horizontal..

In order for it to move in a circle the wire must provide centripetal force = mv2/r towards the centre so..

T*sin(40) = m*v2/r
T = m*v2/(r*sin(40)) ......(Eq 2)

over to you

1. What is the "Swing of Death" in mechanical engineering?

The "Swing of Death" refers to a phenomenon in mechanical engineering where a machine or structure experiences catastrophic failure due to excessive vibration or oscillation. This can be caused by factors such as design flaws, material fatigue, or improper maintenance.

2. How can the "Swing of Death" be prevented?

To prevent the "Swing of Death", engineers must carefully consider the design and materials used in their machines or structures. They must also conduct thorough testing and regular maintenance to identify any potential issues and address them before they lead to failure.

3. What are some real-world examples of the "Swing of Death"?

One well-known example of the "Swing of Death" is the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse in 1940. The bridge experienced catastrophic failure due to excessive vibration caused by high winds, resulting in its collapse. Another example is the failure of the Tay Bridge in Scotland in 1879, where a train collapsed due to excessive oscillations caused by strong winds.

4. How does the "Swing of Death" impact the field of mechanical engineering?

The "Swing of Death" highlights the critical importance of proper design, testing, and maintenance in mechanical engineering. It also serves as a reminder of the potential dangers and consequences of neglecting these crucial steps in the engineering process.

5. What advancements have been made to prevent the "Swing of Death" in recent years?

In recent years, advancements in technology and materials have allowed engineers to better predict and prevent the "Swing of Death". Advanced simulation and modeling techniques, as well as the use of high-strength materials, have helped to reduce the risk of catastrophic failure due to excessive vibration or oscillation.