Mechanical Engineering Technology?

In summary: Neither of those degrees would be a bad choice, but it sounds like you are leaning more towards a masters in industrial engineering. A masters in industrial engineering would give you a good background in quality and process improvement, as well as operations research and data science. It would also give you experience in a manufacturing/quality role, which would be a good fit for you.
ljfe
Hi, I am seeking some opinions regarding a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I do understand the general scope of the degree opposed to Mechanical Engineering. I am without a college education and working full-time in Quality Control at an industrial CO2 laser company. A local community college offers MET at nights so that's a strong option for me. To be honest, the reason I am shying away from a real engineering degree is because I was never good at math. I only took up to algebra II in high school and it's been a few years since then. MET will be challenging for me in that department, but if i am able to get my B.S. in MET would it be "worth it" in your opinion? Would it further my QC career? Is it even possible to be a Quality Engineer with a MET degree? From what I have read, MET is respected a bit more in my state, Massachusetts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing wrong with a technology degree, especially if you are more into technical and CADD work than design. But even ET degrees should require good math and physics skills, including calculus. You are at a disadvantage in today's market if you want to do engineering work. Not to say that those with technology degrees cannot be on par with those with engineering degrees, but I speak generally. You might find the ET courses difficult with only some algebra under your belt, especially if math is not your specialty.

I know this is almost a year old, but incase you're still deciding what to do, I have a BSMET. As long as you understand the differences between ME and MET and you don't expect to get a research position at caltech then it should provide you with plenty of opportunity. Just make sure its ABET accredited. I've honestly never even had an interviewer question it, but I went to RIT which everyone is familiar with so maybe that's why.

I went the MET route thinking I'd never want to go to school again, and here I am a few years later looking into grad programs. ME can open more grad school doors depending on what you want to study. MET can work, but it can require some remedial coursework and extra effort on your part to really convince them that you can hack it in grad school.

Thank you for the reply. I have been majoring in ABET accredited MET since I started this topic. I took 4 classes total (intro, solidworks I and II, and gd&t). I am changing my major to Physics after this semster. Although I am considering to double majoring.

If you don't mind me asking, you have a traditional engineering job with good pay? What masters degree are you pursuing?

For what reasons are you changing your major to Physics? Doesn't sound like a good idea based on your original post, but what has changed since then?

I've done a few different things so bear with me... I started as a test engineer in a fuel cell R&D program for a couple years. After that I worked for a local utility company as a project engineer, managing projects involving powerplant system upgrades. During my time as a test engineer I crunched a ton of data and eventually hacked a VB program together to automate most of it. The process of learning how to write the program, then having to change something and realizing I wrote an unmaintainable mess, and then rewriting it to be more maintainable, got me interested in a deeper study of programming and CS, so I took a few CS classes online through NC State. I ended up taking a job at a large payroll company where I worked in corporate IT, which was hell on earth. In my humble opinion, corporate IT at a huge company is where creativity and innovation go to die, but everyone has their thing they like.

I like programming and I like the higher level CS/SE design decisions, but I need to apply it to an industry/field that I personally give a crap about, which is the crossroads I'm currently at because I'd like to stay in the mechanical/manufacturing field in some way. I've been looking at a masters in industrial engineering because it seems like it can be a good mix of manufacturing and programming. I can lean towards quality and process improvement and stay in a manufacturing/quality role, but it can also be a good background for operations research and data science (at least that's what I've read so far), and those fields leverage some programming/CS background to solve problems, especially data science. I've also considered doing a masters in CS/SE or maybe control systems, and applying my programming interests directly to something involving flight systems or navigation. Anyways, long story short, I'm still deciding haha.

PhanthomJay said:
For what reasons are you changing your major to Physics? Doesn't sound like a good idea based on your original post, but what has changed since then?
I have an A in my Trigonometry class. I got a job as a Quality Tech at a CNC company doing Solidworks, CMM programming, etc. (pretty much the job I'd expect to get with a MET degree). I currently have 19 credits towards Physics, 9 credits towards Engineering, and 17 credits towards MET. I know that isn't a good reason to choose Physics over Engineering or MET, but it's weighing into my decision.

respect_the_S, thank you for the insight!

Also, double majoring in what? Physics and MET? If so, that seems counterproductive. The MET degree by nature is light on calculus and calc based physics, which you'd certainly be getting with a physics degree. If you're going through all that stuff anyways, why not just do the ME instead of the MET?

I currently have 19 credits towards Physics, 9 credits towards Engineering, and 17 credits towards MET o0) I know it shouldn't define my decision, but it does to a certain extent...I want to feel like I'm closing in on something :sorry:

You'll close in on something faster by picking one and hammering the piss out of it rather than spreading yourself thin over different things. I don't see a purpose in a physics degree unless there's something specific you want to do with it. In an engineering role I don't see it providing much value. But if you're super close I understand what you're saying. Out of curiosity, how did you end up with 19 credits towards physics in an MET program?

Presumably this a 2 year program at a Community College for an Associates Degree?
Then you plan to transfer to another school like UMASS for the BS degree?
19 Credits toward Physics in what courses?

respect_the_S said:
You'll close in on something faster by picking one and hammering the piss out of it rather than spreading yourself thin over different things. I don't see a purpose in a physics degree unless there's something specific you want to do with it. In an engineering role I don't see it providing much value. But if you're super close I understand what you're saying. Out of curiosity, how did you end up with 19 credits towards physics in an MET program?
I took some art electives prior. The Physics program at my community college has an awful lot of electives. I figure physics could be a degree that could get my foot into the door at a variety of jobs. I really don't know what I want to do...I'm more of a computer person rather than a manufacturing person. I could even get a masters in engineering after doing Physics right?

Yes PhantomJay, I go to STCC. I realize there's a foreign language requirement at UMASS. I think I can still squeeze that into my associates

Focus on MET! No double majors, please.

I'm switching to Physics. I have more credits in Physics and I don't want to regret doing MET.

Honestly, so early in, I can't fathom how the credits couldn't be applicable to both physics and ME. Many colleges don't get you into major specific courses until second year and even then, most early STEM courses can be used as electives in any STEM discipline.

Have you thought about what you want to do with your degree? Have you discussed this with a guidance counselor?

I appreciate all the feedback! If you would like to check out the community college curriculum: http://catalog.stcc.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=17&poid=4033&returnto=3440
(my ART credits are going to work with all these Humanities electives)

I have met with an advisor at my community college. He OK'd my transfer to Physics and confirmed that I would have more credits in comparison to Engineering and MET at the associates level. That does not mean I have more credits at the bachelors level. I plan to meet with someone at UMASS before I start venturing into classes that aren't on both Engineering and Physics curriculums. I know an associates in Physics is nothing, but it may give me a sense of accomplishment.

Unfortunately, I haven't had any really good career guidance, and I do not know what I want to do. I understand that my options are slim (yet maybe more diverse) with Physics. I am working at a machine shop and that may be where I end up staying. Hopefully they would promote me to an quality engineer role. I also like leaving the door to be open for science related work, maybe someday I would try a position as a Lab Technician.

Related to Mechanical Engineering Technology?

1. What is Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Mechanical Engineering Technology is a field of engineering that combines principles of physics, materials science, and mathematics to design, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems. This includes machines, tools, and other mechanical devices.

2. What is the difference between Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Mechanical Engineering is focused on theoretical concepts and design principles, while Mechanical Engineering Technology is more hands-on and practical. Mechanical Engineering Technology also focuses more on the application of engineering principles in the manufacturing and maintenance of mechanical systems.

3. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Graduates with a degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology can work in a variety of industries, such as manufacturing, transportation, aerospace, and energy. Some common job titles include mechanical engineer, mechanical designer, maintenance engineer, and quality control engineer.

4. What skills are important for a career in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software are important for a career in Mechanical Engineering Technology. Good communication and teamwork skills are also essential for working on projects with other engineers and technicians.

5. What are some emerging technologies in the field of Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Some emerging technologies in Mechanical Engineering Technology include 3D printing, robotics, and sustainable design. These technologies are changing the way mechanical systems are designed, manufactured, and maintained, making the field an exciting and constantly evolving area of study.