How can I find the angle θ for mechanical equilibrium in this problem?

• Thread starter caddyguy109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary, the problem described involves calculating the angle θ corresponding to equilibrium as a function of M, W, and I. The advice given by others suggests taking moments around the place where the two normal forces intersect, and checking the sum of Fx. However, the concept of the moment as a free vector and the presence of two normal forces may be causing confusion.
caddyguy109
This problem was part of a post in another thread, but it got really messy over there and no one seems to be responding.

So, here's the problem:
http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=182816"

And I was told this (but it didn't really help me see what to do, much):
"at least it's a 90 degree angle! and frictionless ...
try taking Moments around the place where the two F_N intersect
did you sum F_x and F_z first?"

But what forces do I sum for Fx and Fz? And where exactly is that total moment taken about?

On the FBD, I drew the W force pointing straight downward from the center, as specified, then Na (Normal Force A) perpendicular to the slope on the left, and did the same, but as Nb, on the right. This part makes sense, theoretically, to me at least.

But what the HECK do I add/calculate/find, etc. to get "the angle θ corresponding to equilibrium as a function of M, W, and I"? Still don't know what exactly to do or where to start, as far as finding that.:frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone??

This problem is REALLY driving me nuts...:mad:

:rolleyes: ...this problem really must be confusing. Seems to be the one all of us in the class are getting stuck on right now.:grumpy:

The moment is a free vector, unlike the forces that are sliding vectors, you have two normal forces acting on each of the ends of the rod. The advice given to you is a good one, but try checking sum of Fx, you might get suprised.

Okay, THINK I got it.

Last edited:

What is mechanical equilibrium?

Mechanical equilibrium is a state in which the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net acceleration of the object.

How is mechanical equilibrium achieved?

Mechanical equilibrium can be achieved by either having all forces acting on an object cancel each other out, or by having the object at rest with no net force acting on it.

What are the conditions for mechanical equilibrium?

The conditions for mechanical equilibrium are having all forces acting on an object balanced, having no net torque acting on the object, and having no net acceleration of the object.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest and there is no net force or torque acting on it. Dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity and there is no net force or torque acting on it.

Why is mechanical equilibrium important in engineering?

Mechanical equilibrium is important in engineering because it allows engineers to design structures and machines that are stable and safe. It also ensures that these structures and machines will not collapse or break due to unbalanced forces.