What is the Force of the Car on the Truck in a Pushing Scenario?

In summary, a 1000kg car with a 2000kg truck with a dead battery experience a force of 4500N when the car driver pushes on the accelerator, due to friction between the tires and the ground. This is the force that acts on the car and truck system, causing them to accelerate together according to Newton's second law. The acceleration of the car and truck together can be calculated using the force and their combined mass, while the acceleration of the truck can be calculated using its own mass. The force of the car on the truck must be equal to the force causing the truck's acceleration.
TheAntithesis

Homework Statement

A 1000kg car pushes a 2000kg truck which has a dead battery. When the car driver pushes on the accelerator, the drive wheels of the car push back against the ground with a force of 4500N. Rolling friction can be ignored.
What is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck?
What is the magnitude of the force of the truck on the car?

Relevant equations
I'm guessing F=ma

The attempt at the solution
I know that the two questions should have the same answer because of Newton's third law, I'm just having a problem setting up the equations. If someone could provide a free-body diagram, that would help a lot.
I've calculated the normal and weight forces for both the car and the truck, 9800N and 19600N respectively. What I don't really understand is the push against the ground of 4500N.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheAntithesis said:

Homework Statement

A 1000kg car pushes a 2000kg truck which has a dead battery. When the car driver pushes on the accelerator, the drive wheels of the car push back against the ground with a force of 4500N. Rolling friction can be ignored.
What is the magnitude of the force of the car on the truck?
What is the magnitude of the force of the truck on the car?

Relevant equations
I'm guessing F=ma

The attempt at the solution
I know that the two questions should have the same answer because of Newton's third law, I'm just having a problem setting up the equations. If someone could provide a free-body diagram, that would help a lot.
I've calculated the normal and weight forces for both the car and the truck, 9800N and 19600N respectively. What I don't really understand is the push against the ground of 4500N.
The car's drive wheels push back against the ground with a force of 4500 N, due to friction between the tires and ground. Using Newton 3, with what force and direction does the ground push on the car? That's the force acting on the car-truck system, which accelerates the car and truck together per Newton 2. What is that acceleration of the car and truck together? What's the acceleration of the truck? What force must act on the truck by the car to produce that truck's acceleration?

1. What is the cause of a car shaking or vibrating while driving?

The most common cause of a car shaking or vibrating while driving is an issue with the tires. This can be due to misalignment, unbalanced tires, or low tire pressure. Other possible causes include problems with the suspension, engine, or transmission.

2. How can I diagnose a strange noise coming from my car?

Diagnosing a strange noise coming from a car can be difficult, as there are many different components that could be causing the noise. A good first step is to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from and what kind of noise it is (grinding, squealing, etc.). From there, it may be necessary to consult a mechanic or do some further research to determine the specific cause of the noise.

3. What are the signs of a transmission problem in a car?

Some common signs of a transmission problem in a car include difficulty shifting gears, slipping gears, leaking fluid, and strange noises coming from the transmission. If you notice any of these issues, it is important to have your car inspected by a mechanic as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

4. How often should I get my car's oil changed?

The frequency of oil changes depends on several factors, such as the type of oil used and the driving conditions. Generally, it is recommended to have your oil changed every 3,000 to 5,000 miles or every 3 to 6 months. However, it is best to consult your car's manual or a mechanic for the specific recommendations for your vehicle.

5. How can I improve my car's fuel efficiency?

There are several ways to improve a car's fuel efficiency, such as keeping up with regular maintenance, using the recommended grade of motor oil, properly inflating tires, and avoiding aggressive driving habits. Using cruise control on the highway and removing unnecessary weight from the car can also help improve fuel efficiency.