Solving a Two-Box Frictionless Physics Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving two boxes, one on a table attached to a string and the other hanging off the table. The task is to find the force of tension on the string. The conversation includes discussions about drawing free body diagrams, considering a massless pulley, and understanding the forces acting on the system. The final conclusion is that the force on both boxes should be the same due to the absence of friction and the balanced forces on the smaller box. The answer is to be expressed in terms of M, m, and g.
Alw
I have a big physics test tomorrow:cry: , and I can't figure out how to solve this type of problem:
2 boxes, one on a table attached to a string attached to another box hanging off the table. (the table is a frictionless plane)--It wants me to find the force of tension on the string. the diagram is as follows: (rough i know) -- the "/"and "0" represent a rod and a wheel on the end allowign the string to roll freely (again no friction)
[m]-------------0
_____________/ |
......| |
......| |
......| |
......| [M]
......|
I have figured out you need to draw a free body diagram for the boxes, and figured out that Fg = Mg, but that's about as far as i got.
Thanks in advance for the help!:smile:
(There are no values, the answer is supposed to be in terms of M, m, and g)

Physics news on Phys.org
what you really need to remember is since you considering a massless pully, all it does is change the direction.

Draw your free body diagrams for each box, nowhere should you have a FBD with a pully involved (that was what always got me). Look at the force(s) acting on your system. Try to get the big idea of what is really happening here. What is pulling on what? Try to remember that a pully just changes direction in this system.

Force on M= Tension in string=Force on m.
The only forces in the system are gravity on mass M and the tension of the string.. the weight of m is balanced by the normal force exerted back by the table.. Thus, since there is also no friction both on the table surface and the pully, the force on M & m shld be the same..

tats wat i tink, correct me if I'm wrong.

Related to Solving a Two-Box Frictionless Physics Problem

1. What is a two-box frictionless physics problem?

A two-box frictionless physics problem is a type of problem in which two objects are in contact with each other on a frictionless surface. The goal is to determine the forces acting on each object and their resulting motion.

2. How do you solve a two-box frictionless physics problem?

To solve a two-box frictionless physics problem, you must first draw a free-body diagram of each object, showing all the forces acting on them. Then, apply Newton's second law of motion to each object and solve for the unknown variables, such as acceleration or force.

3. What are the key principles to keep in mind when solving a two-box frictionless physics problem?

The key principles to keep in mind when solving a two-box frictionless physics problem are Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum. These principles help to determine the forces and motion of the objects involved.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a two-box frictionless physics problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a two-box frictionless physics problem include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the objects, not properly labeling the forces, and not using the correct units for calculations.

5. Are there any tips for approaching a two-box frictionless physics problem?

Some tips for approaching a two-box frictionless physics problem include breaking the problem down into smaller parts, checking your calculations and units, and using the correct formulas and equations for the given scenario. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram and label all the forces before beginning the calculations.