Yes, that is correct. This is known as the critical velocity for a pendulum.

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a planar pendulum with a weightless rod and a pendulum bob. The question asks to determine the number c, which represents the minimum velocity needed for the pendulum bob to pass through the upward vertical position. The formula for kinetic and potential energy is discussed, and it is suggested to set the height at the bottom of the pendulum to find the minimum energy needed. The conversation ends with a discussion about converting kinetic energy into potential energy at the top position.
ElDavidas
Got another question for everyone.

I've been looking over some exam past papers for mechanics and I'm stuck on a problem.

Question reads:

"Suppose that a planar pendulum has a weightless rod of length l and a pendulum bob of mass m. The only external force acting on the pendulum is gravity of magnitude mg.

There is a number c such that, if the pendulum bob passes through the downward position with a speed of magnitude > c, it will eventually pass through the upward vertical position, and if it passes through the downward vertical position with a speed of magnitude < c, it will never reach the upward vertical position. Determine the number c. Neglect friction forces in this problem."

There is a diagram that goes with this problem but it's going to be difficult to draw. Basically comprises of a horizontal y-axis (pointing right), a vertical x-axis (pointing downwards) and a vector drawn with an angle delta between the vector and the x axis.

I'm fairly certain you have to use conservation of energy but don't really know where to begin. I understand the concept of conservation of energy but don't know how to apply it to problems.

Thanks

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, you know the formula for kinetic energy is [itex]E_K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/itex] and the formula for gravitational potential energy near the surface of the Earth is [itex]E_P=mgh[/itex]. m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, h is the hieght and g is acceleration due to gravity. You know that [itex]E_K+E_P=E=constant[/itex]. So what you need to do is find the kinetic and potential energies at the initial and final stages of this process. Keep in mind that it does not matter where you choose h to be zero, since only changes in hieght matter. A convenient place would be at the bottom of the pendulum. Think about what the kinetic enrgy should be at the top. Remember: we want to find the minimum
energy we need to put in for the mass to reach the top.

Ok, I think I follow you.

Been looking over my mechanics notes and they say:
T2 - T1 = V2 - V1

where Ti, Vi represent kinetic and potential energies respectively at times t1 and t2.

So if I make the height 0 at the bottom of the pendulum, this would mean the height of the top of the pendulum is 2l (l is the length of the rod).

Using the formula for potential energy, this implies

V2 - V1 = 2mgl - mg(0) = 2mgl ?

Not quite sure about what to do with the kinetic energies. If the velocity is > c (and therefore the pendulum reaches the top) then can I say:

T2 - T1 = 1/2mc^2 - 1/2mc^2

and if the velocity is < c then

T2 - T1 = 1/2mc^2 ?

Don't think the kinetic energy is right though.

ElDavidas:
Remember that the minimum velocity c that achieves this, is that all kinetic energy at the bottom position becomes converted into potential energy at the top position.

arildno said:
Remember that the minimum velocity c that achieves this, is that all kinetic energy at the bottom position becomes converted into potential energy at the top position.

Hmmm, ok. So does this mean you let

1/2mc^2 = 2mgl

and solve for c?

Related to Yes, that is correct. This is known as the critical velocity for a pendulum.

1. What is a mechanics pendulum?

A mechanics pendulum is a simple device that consists of a mass (called the bob) suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. When the bob is pulled to one side and released, it will swing back and forth under the force of gravity, creating a repeating motion known as a pendulum.

2. How does a mechanics pendulum work?

The motion of a mechanics pendulum is governed by the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. When the bob swings back and forth, it constantly exchanges potential energy (due to its height) for kinetic energy (due to its motion). The pendulum will continue to swing until the energy is dissipated through friction or air resistance.

3. What factors affect the motion of a mechanics pendulum?

The motion of a mechanics pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the string or rod, the mass of the bob, and the angle at which the pendulum is released. Other factors such as air resistance and the strength of gravity may also have a small effect on the pendulum's motion.

4. What is the period of a mechanics pendulum?

The period of a mechanics pendulum is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing, from one side to the other and back again. The period is affected by the length of the pendulum, and it can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What are some real-life applications of a mechanics pendulum?

Mechanics pendulums have several practical applications, such as in clocks and metronomes to keep time, in seismometers to detect earthquakes, and in amusement park rides. They are also commonly used in scientific experiments to study the principles of motion and energy.