Mechanics problem — Car moving with constant acceleration

In summary: OK, so what does this have to do with the problem statement?If you are computing acceleration by taking the difference between final and initial velocities and dividing by the time interval then you must be assuming that the initial velocity, exactly at time zero is 11 m/s and that the final velocity exactly at time 6 is 26 m/s.But in your problem statement, the car's average velocity between A and B is 26 m/s, and its average velocity between B and C is 104 m/s. So if the initial velocity is 11 m/s, then the car's average velocity between A and C must be 104 m/s - 26 m
Vortex8380
Homework Statement
A car is moving at a constant acceleration on a horizontal road passing points A, B and C. The car travels from A to B (22 metres) in 2 seconds and then passes B to C (104 metres) in 4 seconds. What is the acceleration of the car?

Assume that acceleration from A to C is constant
Relevant Equations
SUVAT Equations
I tried this but I don't know if it makes sense:

Average velocity from A to B = 22/2 = 11m/s

Average velocity from B to C = 104/4 = 26m/s

(26-11)/6 = 3.75m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Vortex8380 said:

(26-11)/6 = 3.75m/s
At what time is the instantaneous velocity of the car equal to the 11 m/s average? Is it at the beginning of the interval?

At what time is the instantaneous velocity of the car equal to the 26 m/s average? Is it at the end of the interval?

Edit: +1 to the suggestion by @PeroK It is always wise to sanity check your results.

Likes PeroK
Vortex8380 said:
Homework Statement:: A car is moving at a constant acceleration on a horizontal road passing points A, B and C. The car travels from A to B (22 metres) in 2 seconds and then passes B to C (104 metres) in 4 seconds. What is the acceleration of the car?

Assume that acceleration from A to C is constant
Homework Equations:: SUVAT Equations

(26-11)/6 = 3.75m/s

That was a good try. You could have tested your answer. If ##a = 3.75 m/s^2##, then what was its velocity at points A, B and C?

See also the post above!

Likes jbriggs444
Im not sure, i just took the average velocities of between the 2 distances and asssuming i could use them as the inital and final velocities over the total amount of time taken to get from A to C

Vortex8380 said:
Im not sure, i just took the average velocities of between the 2 distances and asssuming i could use them as the inital and final velocities over the total amount of time taken to get from A to C

If ##a = 3.75 m/s^2##, then ##v_B = v_A + 7m/s## and the average velocity between A and B is ##v_a + 3.75m/s##.

We know that this should be ##11m/s##, which gives us ##v_A = 7.25 m/s##.

Does it all work out between B and C with ##v_A = 7.25 m/s## and ##a = 3.75 m/s^2##?

Vortex8380 said:
Im not sure...
i just took the average velocities of between the 2 distances and asssuming i could use them as the inital and final velocities over the total amount of time taken to get from A to C
OK. Let us make the hint more obvious.

If you are computing acceleration by taking the difference between final and initial velocities and dividing by the time interval then you must be assuming that the initial velocity, exactly at time zero is 11 m/s and that the final velocity exactly at time 6 is 26 m/s.

Is the initial velocity equal to 11 m/s? Well, let us perform a sanity check...

If the initial velocity is 11 m/s and the object accelerates at 3.75 m/s2 then the velocity after 2 seconds will be somewhat higher. And the distance traveled in those two seconds will be somewhat greater than 2 s * 11 m/s = 22 meters.

But the problem statement says that the distance traveled in those two seconds was 22 meters. So that 11 m/s cannot be correct.

Edit: More directly, if the object's average velocity over the first two seconds is equal to its initial velocity at the beginning of those two seconds then its acceleration must be zero. But that obviously does not fit the problem statement.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
ok thank you
jbriggs444 said:
OK. Let us make the hint more obvious.

If you are computing acceleration by taking the difference between final and initial velocities and dividing by the time interval then you must be assuming that the initial velocity, exactly at time zero is 11 m/s and that the final velocity exactly at time 6 is 26 m/s.

Is the initial velocity equal to 11 m/s? Well, let us perform a sanity check...

If the initial velocity is 11 m/s and the object accelerates at 3.75 m/s2 then the velocity after 2 seconds will be somewhat higher. And the distance traveled in those two seconds will be somewhat greater than 2 s * 11 m/s = 22 meters.

But the problem statement says that the distance traveled in those two seconds was 22 meters. So that 11 m/s cannot be correct.
ok thank you

You have this fact for 2nd degree polynomials: ##\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}=f'\left(\frac{b+a}{2}\right)##. In your case, look at the function ##f'## as the velocity, and ##f## as the position (which is the second degree polynomial, because the acceleration is constant).
For the sake of explanation, if the position is given by ##x(t)##, then ##\frac{x(t_2)-x(t_1)}{t_2-t_1}=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}##, is the average velocity over the period ##\Delta t##, but it also is equal to the instantaneous velocity at ##t=## half of the time between the start and the end.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK and jbriggs444
Vortex8380 said:
(26-11)/6 = 3.75m/s
Missed this on the first read-through

##\frac{26-11}{6}## is not equal to 3.75. ##\frac{26-11}{4}## is equal to 3.75. Why did you divide by four when saying you were dividing by six?

Likes PeroK

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a car?

To calculate the acceleration of a car, you need to know its change in velocity and the time it takes to change. You can find the acceleration by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. What does constant acceleration mean?

Constant acceleration means that the rate of change of velocity stays the same over time. In other words, the car's velocity increases or decreases by the same amount in each unit of time.

3. How does the mass of a car affect its acceleration?

The mass of a car does not directly affect its acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. So, a car with a larger mass will require more force to accelerate at the same rate as a car with a smaller mass.

4. Can a car have a negative acceleration?

Yes, a car can have a negative acceleration. This means that the car is slowing down or decelerating. It can happen when the car is braking or when there is a force acting in the opposite direction of its motion.

5. How does friction affect a car's acceleration?

Friction can affect a car's acceleration by acting as a force that opposes its motion. This means that the car will require more force to accelerate and will experience a decrease in acceleration. Friction can come from factors such as air resistance, tire traction, and road conditions.