How Do a Car and Truck Meet When Starting at Different Times?

• Thread starter link107
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary: I won't do the math on the computer but it looks like it should be right. You can plug in the answer to check.In summary, using the given information and motion equations, it is determined that the car will catch the truck 2 seconds after the truck starts, at the same position as the truck. However, plugging in the time of 0.5 seconds does not make mathematical or physical sense, suggesting that there may be an error in the algebraic calculations.
link107

Homework Statement

A truck starts from rest and accelerates at 0.9m/s2. 0.8s later, a car accelerates from rest at the same starting point with an acceleration of 2.5m/s2

Where and when does the car catch the truck?

Homework Equations

Motion equations

Xf-Xo=Vox(t)+1/2(a)(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

x truck=x car

1/2(a)(t)^2=1/2(a)(t-0.8s)^2
1/2(a)(t)^2=1/2(a)(t^2-1.6t+0.64)
1/2(0.9)t^2=1/2(2.5)(t^2-1.6t+0.64)
0.45t^2=1.25t^2-2t+0.8
0.8t^2-2t+0.8t=0
quadratic equation =

2+1.2/1.6=2s
2-1.2/1.6=0.5s

I don't know where I went wrong but the value for time isn't working for me. The assignment continues to say the answer is incorrect... Please help me pin point my error so I can correct myself.

Thank you

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to redo the algebra. Perhaps cancel out 1/2 on both sides to make things less messy

Edit: your math looks right. Plug in 2s into the equation, it works. Now plug in .5s, hopefully you notice something.

Always check your answer to see if they make mathematical sense and physical sense.

Last edited:
Brian T said:
Well to start, there can't be two positive time answers. Once the car passes the truck, they will never meet again (since the car contonues to accelerate faster)

I would try to redo the algebra. Perhaps cancel out 1/2 on both sides to make things less messy

I already canceled them out and still got the same results... It doesn't work still.

Hey, do you know how this equation is derived? If you work this in the integral form you might see what you did wrong.

Rellek said:
Hey, do you know how this equation is derived? If you work this in the integral form you might see what you did wrong.

The thing is we didn't learn integral form yet so I don't know how I would do it.

Well, ok.

Judging from your work, it seems as if you wanted to keep the time constant with respect to the first car to start. There's nothing wrong with this. However, if this is the case, your work is saying that the two cars will be meeting each other at different times with respect to the first car. Namely, you are saying that car 2 is going to come in contact with the first car .8 seconds earlier than car 1 comes in contact with car 2. How could they come in contact at different times? They should come in contact at the exact same ending time T.

Rellek said:
Well, ok.

Judging from your work, it seems as if you wanted to keep the time constant with respect to the first car to start. There's nothing wrong with this. However, if this is the case, your work is saying that the two cars will be meeting each other at different times with respect to the first car. Namely, you are saying that car 2 is going to come in contact with the first car .8 seconds earlier than car 1 comes in contact with car 2. How could they come in contact at different times? They should come in contact at the exact same ending time T.

How could I set the equation in that case? should I set both cars (t-0.8)^2?

Ill just ask my teacher tomorrow, thank you guys.

It looks correct actually

What is a mechanics problem question?

A mechanics problem question is a type of scientific inquiry that involves the application of physical principles and equations to solve a problem related to the motion or forces acting on an object. It often requires a combination of analytical and mathematical skills to find a solution.

What are the key concepts in mechanics that are commonly used in problem questions?

Some of the key concepts in mechanics that are commonly used in problem questions include Newton's laws of motion, work and energy, momentum, and kinematics. These concepts help to describe and predict the behavior of objects in motion and the forces acting on them.

How do you approach solving a mechanics problem question?

The first step in solving a mechanics problem question is to clearly define the problem and identify what is given and what is unknown. Then, you can use the relevant equations and principles to set up and solve the problem, making sure to show all your steps and units. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or make assumptions to simplify the problem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problem questions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving mechanics problem questions include using incorrect units, forgetting to account for all forces acting on an object, and not fully understanding the problem before attempting to solve it. It is also important to check your calculations and answers for accuracy.

What are some real-world applications of mechanics problem questions?

Mechanics problem questions have many real-world applications, such as designing structures and machines, predicting the trajectories of objects in motion, and understanding the forces involved in sports and other activities. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions about the behavior of physical systems.