Mechanics question derivations terminal velocity (quadratic case)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the derivation of the quadratic case of terminal velocity and potential errors in the equations. The first picture shows an error in equation 2.4.13, which should have a positive sign instead of a negative one. In the second picture, there are two questions: how did the author come up with 1/2 * dv^2/dy in equation 2.4.15, and how did they come up with dv^2/dy in the equation du/dy = -1/vt^2 * dv^2/dy. The conversation also includes a clarification on the relationship between dv/dt and dv/dy, with the explanation that v = dy/dt and
Genericcoder
hi so basically my question is derivation of derivation of the quadratic case of the terminal velocity

I have attached the pictures in picture 1 I don't know I think the book has error in his derivation @ equation 2.4.13 shouldn't it be + instead of negative ??

& in second picture their is something I don't understand two stuff acctually first is in equation 2.4.15
how did he come up with 1/2 * dv^2 / dy? and my second question is
du/dy = -1/vt^2 * dv^2/dy how did he come up with dv^2/dy ??

thanks alot.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 513
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 612
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the sign is wrong.
And dv/dt = dv/dy dy/dt = dv/dy v
since v = dy/dt .
And since dv²/dt = 2 v dv/dt, the last result follows.

could u explain this line a little more ->dv²/dt = 2 v dv/dt, the last result follows?

read:

dv²/dy = 2 v dv/dy

which implies

v dv/dy = 1/2 dv²/dy

I am always happy to assist with questions related to mechanics and derivations. In order to properly address your inquiries, I will need to see the pictures you have referenced. However, I can provide a general explanation of the quadratic case of terminal velocity.

In the case of an object falling through a fluid, the terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that the object will reach due to the balance of two forces: gravity pulling the object down and air resistance pushing the object up. The quadratic case refers to the situation where the air resistance is proportional to the square of the object's velocity.

To derive the equation for terminal velocity in the quadratic case, we can start with the equations of motion for the object:

F = ma = mg - bv^2

Where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, b is the drag coefficient, and v is the velocity of the object. At terminal velocity, the net force is equal to zero, so we can set the equation equal to zero and solve for v:

0 = mg - bv^2

v = √(mg/b)

This is the equation for terminal velocity in the quadratic case. Now, let's address your specific questions about the derivations in the pictures you have referenced.

In picture 1, it appears that you are questioning the sign in equation 2.4.13. Without seeing the picture, I cannot say for certain, but it is possible that the negative sign is correct. In some cases, the direction of the force or velocity may need to be reversed in order to account for the direction of the vector. I would need to see the full derivation in order to confirm.

In picture 2, you are asking about the derivation of 1/2 * dv^2 / dy and dv^2 / dy. These terms come from the chain rule in calculus. In this case, the velocity (v) is a function of the position (y), so when we take the derivative of v with respect to y, we use the chain rule to get 1/2 * dv^2 / dy. Similarly, when we take the derivative of v^2 with respect to y, we use the chain rule again to get dv^2/dy. I hope this explanation helps to clarify your questions.

In summary, the quadratic case of terminal velocity is derived by balancing the forces acting on an object falling through a

1. What is the equation for calculating terminal velocity in the quadratic case?

The equation for calculating terminal velocity in the quadratic case is v = (mg/c)(1-e^(-ct/m)), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, c is the drag coefficient, and t is time.

2. How is terminal velocity affected by changes in mass?

Terminal velocity is directly proportional to mass in the quadratic case. This means that as mass increases, terminal velocity also increases.

3. What happens to an object's acceleration as it approaches terminal velocity?

As an object approaches terminal velocity, its acceleration decreases. This is because the drag force, which is responsible for slowing down the object, increases as velocity increases.

4. How does the drag coefficient affect terminal velocity?

The drag coefficient is a measure of an object's resistance to movement through a fluid. A higher drag coefficient will result in a lower terminal velocity, as the object experiences more resistance and takes longer to reach its maximum speed.

5. Can terminal velocity be reached in a vacuum?

No, terminal velocity can only be reached in the presence of a fluid, such as air or water. In a vacuum, there is no medium for an object to experience resistance from, so it will continue to accelerate without a maximum speed.