How Can David Estimate the Weight of a Non-Uniform Log?

• Thread starter turnstile
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary: W ~The log is about to tilt about C when a force of magnitude 1000 N is applied to it. The weight of the log is estimated to be around 4500 N.
turnstile
Hi..
Im back :rofl:

moment.jpg

A large log AB is 6 m long. It rests in a horizontal position on two smooth supports C and D, where AC = 1 m and BD = 1 m, as shown in Figure . David needs an estimate of the weight of the log, but the log is too heavy to lift off both supports. When David applies a force of magnitude 1500 N vertically upwards to the log at A, the log is about to tilt about D.
(a) State the value of the reaction on the log at C for this case.
... 0...
David initially models the log as uniform rod. Using this model,

(b) estimate the weight of the log
[ I got 3750 N for this]

The shape of the log convinces David that his initial modelling assumption is too simple. He removes the force at A and applies a force acting vertically upwards at B. He finds that the log is about to tilt about C when this force has magnitude 1000 N. David now models the log as a non-uniform rod, with the distance of the centre of mass of the log from C as x metres. Using this model, find

(c) a new estimate for the weight of the log,

im absolutely stuck here... the way I've laid it out is;
Moments at D => 1500x5 =W(4-x)
Moments at C => 1000x5 =?
then... ? :confused:

I don't know what to do...

(d) the value of x.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You basically have it.

Your equation 1500*5-W(4-x)=0 is right
and the other is just 1000*5-W*x=0 (if x is measured to the right of C)

Now you need to solve the 2 equations and 2 unknowns.

:cry: I am not getting the answer...

turnstile said:
:cry: I am not getting the answer...

What answer are you getting? And can you show your working please...

~H

1. What is Mechanics Question III?

Mechanics Question III is a hypothetical question used to test understanding of mechanics principles and problem-solving skills. It is often used in academic settings to assess a student's knowledge and application of mechanical concepts.

2. What topics does Mechanics Question III cover?

Mechanics Question III may cover a variety of topics within mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, forces, energy, momentum, and rotational motion. The specific topics included may vary depending on the level of the question.

3. How is Mechanics Question III different from other mechanics questions?

Mechanics Question III may be different from other mechanics questions in its level of difficulty and complexity. It may also require a deeper understanding of mechanics principles and the ability to apply them to a novel situation or scenario.

4. How can I prepare for Mechanics Question III?

To prepare for Mechanics Question III, it is important to have a strong foundation in mechanics principles and problem-solving techniques. It may also be helpful to review past mechanics questions and practice solving them. Additionally, understanding the format and structure of the question can also aid in preparation.

5. Is there a correct answer for Mechanics Question III?

Yes, there is a correct answer for Mechanics Question III. However, the question is designed to test understanding and application of principles rather than simply providing a right or wrong answer. The answer may vary depending on the specific question and may require multiple steps to arrive at the correct solution.