Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Medical costs

1. Jun 30, 2010 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Seen somewhere else:

Any comments? Does it really look this way?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2010 #2
    I've never had to pay a medical procedure in full, just the co-pay, but seeing the costs of some of the things is absolutely outrageous! To me it seems like wages play a huge part in the final cost, and the procedure itself is very minimal.

4. Jul 1, 2010 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The $10K may have been just the "list price," in which case the actual negotiated amount that the insurer will pay can be on either side of $3K. Also, there has been ongoing debate about the presence and the extent of "cost shifting" by medical establishments, in the form of "shifting" costs incurred on one group of patients (e.g. less insured) to another group (e.g. more insured).

5. Jul 1, 2010 #4
    I'm not really sure about the wages in the US, but medical procedures are extremely expensive due to all of the surrounding things - Sterile equipment, safety protocols, etc.

What DOES a physician make in the US? My father, as an anaesthesiologist, works... A simply absurd amount. He's got 75% (that is 30 hours a week) on a regular job, and then works extra just about any day he isn't regularly employed, and then takes a lot of night shifts - not rarely working night FOLLOWING a day or the other way around.

For this he makes a net of about $85k a year with his regular job, and maybe $70 in extra jobs (through his own one-man company). After taxing and employer fees, it all ends up at a gross around... $65k a year, I think.

How would this compare to most American physicians?

6. Jul 1, 2010 #5

Borek

Everyone in a world knows that paying taxes is a national hobby where you live.

7. Jul 1, 2010 #6
  8. Jul 1, 2010 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The disconnect between how much a procedure costs and how much is billed can be enormous. Insurance companies denying legitimate claims, accepting inflated claims, and the varying amounts that they're willing to pay for procedures, along with the general unwillingness of medical providers to turn around and bill the patient for whatever's left over if there is a problem dealing with the insurance company leaves healthcare providers trying to squeeze every penny out of the accepted claims.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  9. Jul 1, 2010 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anesthesiologists are very well-paid here in the US, but I've heard the hours are bad here too.

50th percentile: $317,000/year

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_compresult_national_hc07000045.html

10. Jul 1, 2010 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's not an uncommon story. The woman should go to the hospital and explain she's uninsured - lots of hospitals will give the uninsured a big break.

The system stinks...it's great if you have insurance, but if you're uninsured you better wrap yourself in bubble wrap and hope for the best.

11. Jul 1, 2010 #10

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the story it sounds like she's at a hospital already, and that their insurance covered it once it became a medical procedure

12. Jul 2, 2010 #11

Borek

Just to clarify: the story happened several years ago.

13. Jul 2, 2010 #12
    From what I can gather off the link, it seems they measure the salary from standard employment. I don't think any physician in Sweden could expect to make more than maybe a net of $120,000 a year with a standard contract (on top of that, a taxation of ~55%); of course, the profession is characerized by extra jobs everywhere all the time.

Also, the Swedish anaesthesiology is "more advanced" than the American from what I can gather; it's a speciality in both anaesthesiology and intensive care; Intensive care isn't required in America (which explains why the site claims "2-4 years" for specialization, this struck me as quite low).

I'm going to look up if there's any statistic on the Swedish median salary of them...

Median salary for an "överläkare" (basically a specialized physician with many years of experience) in Sweden is apparently 55 000 SEK a month, making 650k SEK (~$86 000) a year - do note that the taxation is, IIRC, 56% at this salary level, so they'd end up at a gross of about ~286 000 SEK, or about 40,000 USD a year.

I hate America with seething jealousy now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook