Member Vote On New Format Please

• Thread starter morrobay
  • Start date
In summary, the new format is not to everyone's liking. Some people think it's too new and different, while others like it. Some people are having problems posting, while others are not. There is something wrong with the user's browser and/or operating system.
morrobay
Gold Member
I don't care for this new format at all. Change for the sake of change ?
How about Admin organizing a member vote on the new format or returning to the old format !

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you aren't happy with the new format. I'm afraid it's not up to a community vote.

Is there some kind of error : I cannot view the original post here or anywhere else ?

Seriously morrobay.. This one is much better (other than some small things).. you'll get used to the way it looks.

morrobay said:
Is there some kind of error : I cannot view the original post here or anywhere else ?

What browser and what OS?

Can someone pm me on how to view replies ! All I am getting is a reply like this

morrobay said:
Can someone pm me on how to view replies ! All I am getting is a reply like this

I don't understand your post. Could you be more specific as to your problem?

I can't seem to post- I get a 'internal server error 500', using Firefox 17.0. Oddly, I can post *here*.

Edit- now I can post... odd.

Andy Resnick said:
I can't seem to post- I get a 'internal server error 500', using Firefox 17.0. Oddly, I can post *here*.

Edit- now I can post... odd.

It wasn't related to the template change.

As the saying goes, "correlation does not imply causation."

(At least as far as Andy's problem is concerned; the jury is still out on Morrobay.)

I actually like the new format quite a bit. Sure it's a change, but change isn't always bad; it just takes some getting used to. Besides the new colors there are new aspects of the new format that are quite nice:

• The fixed maximum horizontal length makes it a lot easier to read for people with higher resolution monitors, without sacrificing readability for those with lower resolution monitors. At home I have 2560x1600 resolution monitor, and with the old format, if I ever accidentally went full screen, there's no way I could read a PF post: I couldn't tell where one line ends and the next begins. At work my resolution is much lower. With the new format, the readability is identical either way.
  • There was a problem in the old format where if somebody posted an image that exceeded the maximum image width in the forum rules (rules or no rules, people do this anyway), it would require readers to horizontal scroll left and right to read any and all posts in that entire page of the thread, not just the post containing the oversized image. This new format fixes that for all posts less the one containing the offensively sized image.
  • There is a new "Features / Image Gallery," if you like scanning through images (see Greg's post in the Forum Feedback and Announcements sub-forum).
  • There's now a neat, quick search field thingy at the upper right of the page.

Posts are now compressed. Could we get the spacing back somehow?

Mentalist said:
Posts are now compressed. Could we get the spacing back somehow?

Can you attach a screenshot?

Ok thanks you all - Its working, and looking better today . Seems double clicks are in order in some instances.
morrobay

Overall the layout isn't that different, it's just been prettied up a bit, which thankfully isn't getting in the way when reading posts.

And my avatar displays better.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you attach a screenshot?

I meant more compact. In the other board I guess the posts seemed to be shorter, now if you have more than 300 words, it kind of looks like a wall of text.

1. What is "Member Vote On New Format Please"?

"Member Vote On New Format Please" is a decision-making process in which members of a group vote on a proposed new format or change to an existing format.

2. Why is it important to have a member vote on new format?

Having a member vote allows for a democratic decision-making process and ensures that all members have a say in the final outcome. It also promotes transparency and inclusivity within the group.

3. Who can participate in a member vote on new format?

Typically, all members of the group or organization are eligible to participate in the vote. However, some groups may have specific eligibility criteria, such as being a certain age or having a certain level of involvement.

4. How is a member vote on new format conducted?

The process for conducting a member vote may vary depending on the group or organization, but it typically involves presenting the proposed format or change, allowing members to ask questions and discuss, and then holding a formal vote. The vote may be conducted in person or through an online platform.

5. What happens if the majority of members do not vote in favor of the new format?

If the majority of members do not vote in favor of the new format, it may indicate that there is not enough support or that further discussion and revisions are needed. The group may decide to continue with the current format or go back to the drawing board to come up with a new proposal.