Exploring Membrane Mechanics: Classic Books and Articles

In summary: The area of a minimal surface is a mathematical concept that is used in theoretical physics and mathematics. It is a surface that is the smallest surface that is bound by a given space curve. The surface tension of a membrane structure is also a mathematical concept that is used in theoretical physics and mathematics.
Steven Wang
I am interested in membrane recently.Can someone show the abc knowledge about membrane. I major in mechanics and I concern about the maths, physics and mechanics of membrane. Can somebody recommend some classic books and articles about this subject. Thanks.:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you referring to when you say Membrane?

Sorry, I mean the membrane structure, like soap-bubble...

Alright, I wasn't sure if you were talking about something physical like a soap bubble, or something crazy theoretical. =)

I am really interested in both them. I also want to make some connection between the real membrane structure and the crazy theoretical things. Can you make some suggestion. Thank you very much.

I'm still confused by what you mean.

A good reference for biological membranes (cell membranes, etc) is Sten-Knudsen's "Biological Membranes". Some good references for interfacial dynamics (membranes consist of two interfaces) are Slattery's "Interfacial Transport Phenomena" and Edwards, Brenner,and Wasan's "Intefacial Transport Processes and Rheology".

Soap bubbles and minimal surfaces in general are covered fairly well in Osserman's "A Survey of Minimal Surfaces".

Finally there is a considerable amount of work being done on flowing soap films as a model system.

http://www.mae.buffalo.edu/research...lab/Flowing soap films/Flowing soap films.htm

Can you be a little more specific?

Thank you very much. I just know some basic concepts about membrane. In theoretical physics and maths, there are some theory about membrane(in string theory or relative theory, I'm not sure). For example, there exist a surface whose area is the smallest surface that bound with a given space curve, is that true? and also the surface tension about the membrane structure. I also know that there are some membrane structures in biology and architecture engineering.
So I want to know what people concerns about membrane and what they have done. How they deal with a membrane structure in physics, and what theory can they have in mathematics.
Again thanks.

1. What is the importance of studying membrane mechanics?

Membranes are an essential component of all living cells and play a critical role in various biological processes such as cell signaling, transport, and maintaining cell shape. Understanding membrane mechanics can help us better understand how cells function and how diseases can impact cell membranes.

2. What are some classic books and articles on membrane mechanics?

Some classic books and articles on membrane mechanics include "The Fluid Mosaic Model of the Structure of Cell Membranes" by S. J. Singer and G. L. Nicolson, "Lipid Bilayers and Biological Membranes" by G. H. Weiss and B. D. Sales, and "Biological Membranes: A Molecular Perspective from Computation and Experiment" by K. N. D. S. Kumar.

3. How has our understanding of membrane mechanics evolved over time?

In the past few decades, advances in technology such as microscopy and computational modeling have allowed scientists to gain a deeper understanding of membrane mechanics. We now know that membranes are not just passive barriers but are dynamic structures that can change in response to external stimuli.

4. What techniques are used to study membrane mechanics?

Some common techniques used to study membrane mechanics include atomic force microscopy, electron microscopy, fluorescence microscopy, and computational modeling. Each of these techniques provides unique insights into the structure and behavior of membranes.

5. How can the study of membrane mechanics contribute to medical advancements?

Understanding membrane mechanics can help us develop new treatments for diseases that affect cell membranes, such as cystic fibrosis and certain types of cancer. It can also aid in the development of drug delivery systems that can effectively target cell membranes for specific treatments.