Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Men and Makeup

1. Jun 9, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have noticed MEN WEARING MAKEUP is this a heterosexual thing or is it
    only the gay community, being a country boy i admit i dont keep up with
    modern trends.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, it depends on which sexual orientation you think David Beckham has..:wink:

4. Jun 9, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Hetro most surly, i know men have to wear makeup for television etc, im talking
    about general use.

5. Jun 9, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the US when I went to an up-scale mall, I'd always see manicured men walking around who would look made-up (I don't think those were gay). I definately think that this will become a norm in the future, but I really don't think that men should start doing this :bugeye:

6. Jun 9, 2005 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That males shouldn't adorn and prettify themselves is a peculiar Western tradition.
    (In many other cultures, males do).

I can't see why it is a tradition which ought to be kept alive.

7. Jun 9, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

In the past men have worn makeup, beauty spots, wigs, i just wonder if,
    now that women wear trousers in future the only way to know male from female
    is by the voice.

8. Jun 9, 2005 #7
    In the old days, in my home country of korea. There were warriors called hwarangs, who were probably the most badass warriors you could think of (besides pirates)

But they wore makeup.

9. Jun 9, 2005 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Men following the Gothic lifestyle wear make up..

10. Jun 9, 2005 #9
    The only men who wear make up, have manicures, etc. are either gay or metrosexual.

11. Jun 9, 2005 #10
    I think it looks odd and I notice it right away, much like I notice a bad hair piece. And the thought of my mates "borrowing" my powder, just makes my brain scream NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

12. Jun 9, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is often a matter of business. I used to notice how some of the salesmen and support people, and especially the Presidents and CEOs, looked so good for their age. One day when I noticed that a 50 year old heavy drinker looked better [healthier] than a very healthy 35 year old, it finally sank in. If you look good [better than normal] you can make more money? Well, we already know that that's true generally - good looking people tend to make more money than less attractive people. So why wouldn't it apply to something like makeup that [in theory] enhances one's looks?

13. Jun 9, 2005 #12

matthyaouw

Gold Member

True. A lot of my friends are in the rock/goth/alternative crowd, and even though most of them don't go for the whole pale face, black lipstick, I often see a number of them with black eyeliner on. In my experience, its not really a statement about sexuality so much as a fasion thing. I've talked to a number of girls about it (from the same kind of crowd) and a lot of them do find men in makeup quite attractive.

14. Jun 9, 2005 #13

wolram

Gold Member

you do look sooo cute, but why the eky thump should blokes look like you?

15. Jun 9, 2005 #14
    I think men and women shouldn't wear makeup. Whats with all this BS anyway.

16. Jun 9, 2005 #15

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I could care less personally. People decorate their bedrooms, why not their bodies? If men want to do it as well, so what? Personally, I neither decorate my room nor do I wear any makeup, but I nonetheless do keep up my appearance. I think I look great without it, but if I didn't, I might use some.

17. Jun 9, 2005 #16

Danger

Gold Member

Or corpses. Don't forget corpses. Morticians are quite skilled at make-up.

18. Jun 10, 2005 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Here's a description of Bladibla's hwarang:

It seems they were basically similar to the Sacred Band in Thebes in more than one respect..

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  19. Jun 10, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

An awful lot of warrior (classes?) use or still use make-up either for ritualistic purposes, as camoflage, or to frighten the enemy. (No one in his right mind would call an SAS commando a sissy to his face.*) And since I'm half Scots, the Highlanders back in grandpa Robert the Bruce's time wore all kinds of weird colours, often make-up without clothing, and leapt around like maniacs. (As if the bloody bagpipes hadn't scared the bejabers out of everyone already.)

*As an aside: One of the funniest things I ever saw was in that cowboy bar I worked in. 4 or 5 guys got up and started dancing together when the band started. Women dancing together is common and accepted, but over a dozen of the cowboys took objection to this atrocity. They started in with the sexual-orientation insults, which were ignored. Then threats, which were ignored. Finally they couldn't stand being ignored any more, so they decided since I as the bouncer refused to stop the dancing, they would. One of them got in one punch, which wasn't ignored, and the whole lot of them ended up leaving by ambulance. We have a Brit army training camp a few miles away, and this was the paratroopers' last night on the town before being shipped to Germany. I knew who they were, and what was going to happen, so I suppose I should feel guilty about not trying to prevent it... but I just couldn't bring myself to spoil the moment. :devil: :biggrin:

20. Jun 10, 2005 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Danger, you should feel very very guilty for a millisecond or two.

21. Jun 10, 2005 #20

Danger

Gold Member

I tried, but I was laughing too hard for it to register.

Aw nuts! I just got a call to start work 3 hours early today. Gotta go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?