Finding a High-Voltage, High-Current Replacement for Mercury Relays

• Thread starter dbbaker2007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mercury
In summary: I don't want to have to replace them again if I can help it.In summary, the person is looking for a good substitute for mercury relays, and they are considering solid-state relays.
dbbaker2007
Hello! This is my first time visiting this forum and I am sure it won't be my last.

I have a project in which I need to replace some mercury relays because they won't fly international. To give some more info the project is designed to have three amplifiers hooked up to a switch box and choose which amp we want to use on the output to one set of speakers. It has to switch virtually to the point when it is not noticeable, thus the relays.

These relays are rated 480VAC, 60A, 2 Pole, Normally Open, and the open/close timing is approx. 50ms.

I need to replace with different relays and need to be around the same specs and honestly don't know a whole lot about relays. I know the basics and that's about it. If anyone knows about some high current/high voltage/fast switching relays that would be great. Would solid-state relays be a good replacement?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like those relays are far better than they need to be. (So, why are you replacing them?)

An amplifier driving one pair of speakers would probably not be drawing more than 2 amps from the mains.

So, you need more information. Find out how much current the amplifiers take and at what voltage. Look for something like "230 volts 0.85 amps".
This will give you information about how good the relay contacts have to be.

Then try to check what voltage is being applied to the coils of the relays. You need to know this for ordering more relays. It tells you the coil voltage for the relays.
Also find out if this voltage is AC or DC.

vk6kro said:
It sounds like those relays are far better than they need to be. (So, why are you replacing them?)

An amplifier driving one pair of speakers would probably not be drawing more than 2 amps from the mains.

So, you need more information. Find out how much current the amplifiers take and at what voltage. Look for something like "230 volts 0.85 amps".
This will give you information about how good the relay contacts have to be.

Then try to check what voltage is being applied to the coils of the relays. You need to know this for ordering more relays. It tells you the coil voltage for the relays.
Also find out if this voltage is AC or DC.

I need to replace them because mercury doesn't fly internationally. And the coil voltage was 15Vdc.

Well the amplifiers that I am going to be using are rated up to 8000 W. Playing at clipping in a 2 ohm stereo/ 4 ohm bridge mono / 1 ohm parallel mono, the current draw is 42.6A. For using this specific box we probably won't be playing at clipping. It will more than likely be 8 ohm bridge which is still rated around 30A. But in case the client wants to hear it switch between amplifiers at clipping the relays should be able to handle it.

I basically just need to know what a good substitute for a mercury relay would be. I have been looking at a few solid state relays from Teledyne. I just want to make sure that a solid state relay can react and operate like my mercury relays.

What is a mercury relay?

A mercury relay is a type of electrical relay that uses mercury as a switch to control the flow of high voltage and high current in a circuit. It is commonly used in industrial and power generation applications.

Why do we need to find a replacement for mercury relays?

Mercury is a toxic substance and poses significant health and environmental hazards. As a result, the use of mercury is being phased out in many industries, including the electrical industry. Finding a replacement for mercury relays is necessary to comply with regulations and ensure a safer and more sustainable future.

What are the criteria for a high-voltage, high-current replacement for mercury relays?

The replacement for mercury relays should be able to handle high voltage and high current, have a long lifespan, be reliable, and have a low environmental impact. It should also be cost-effective and easy to maintain.

What alternatives are currently available for mercury relays?

There are several alternatives available for mercury relays, including solid-state relays, electromechanical relays, and hybrid relays. These alternatives use different technologies to achieve the same function as mercury relays.

What are the challenges in finding a suitable replacement for mercury relays?

One of the main challenges is finding a replacement that can handle high voltage and high current without compromising on reliability and safety. Another challenge is ensuring that the replacement is cost-effective and readily available. Additionally, the replacement should have a long lifespan and be compatible with existing systems.