Can an electron transition between metastable states in a laser?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of metastable states and their transitions, with one person proposing the idea of reference frames of these states. However, the other person points out that this idea does not make sense and that the transition may be radiative or non-radiative regardless of the final state being metastable or not. They also mention the role of thermal diffusion and quantum dynamics in these transitions, and clarify that the electron itself does not decide where to go but the physical process determines it.
Blogical
I wonder whether an electron can make a transition from one metastable state to an another metastable state, if so it leads to a paradox(atleast according to me) viz for the refrence frame of the metastable state A from which electron makes the transition, it will be a radiative transition and for the refrence frame of the metastable state B to which the electron makes the transition, it will be a non-radiative transition!
It does not make sense.
Forgive me for being naive, i have no formal degree in Physics, but i like it a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ehm...I do not get your point.

A metastable state is one that is not perfectly stable, but has a very long decay time (microseconds or even milliseconds). That is all there is. Proposing "reference frames of metastable states" does not make much sense. The transition may be radiative or not - for lasers it typically is, but that does not depend at all on whether the final state of the transition is metastable or not.

I do not get your point, either. Here's my suggestion.

Metastable state is in company with a certain state. In general, there is a small gap between their energy levels (Metastable level belows certain one).

Given 2 certain states, A and B, and suppose their have some metastable states company with, such as (metastable states) A1 and A2 for A state, B1 and B2 for B state.

The transitions between A to A1(A2) or A1 to A2, or B to B1(B2), or B1 to B2, are usually non-radiative. The energy leaks through the thermal diffusion.

But the transitions between A1 to B or A1 to B1(B2) are radiative, it radiates a light with certain energy of (A1-B)

As u have said that A1 to B1 is radiative and A1 to A2 is non-radiative, my doubt is that how does an electron which is in A1 and is about to make a transition, know WHICH IS A2 OR B1 , for the electron it only experiences the life-time of these states and hence we can distinguish between normal state and metastable state, as both are metastable states their life-time would be the same.

A1 to B1 belongs to quantum dynamics, and A1 to A2 is due to thermal diffusion.
Eletron itself doesn't know which state it should go, but the detail physical process will decide where the electron is going

1. What is a metastable state in a laser?

A metastable state in a laser is an excited state of the atoms or molecules within the laser medium that has a longer lifetime compared to the other excited states. This longer lifetime allows for the population of atoms or molecules to accumulate in this state, resulting in a population inversion which is necessary for laser operation.

2. How is a metastable state created in a laser?

A metastable state can be created in a laser through the use of an energy source, such as an electrical discharge or optical pumping. This energy source excites the atoms or molecules in the laser medium to a higher energy level, and if the conditions are right, they can reach a metastable state.

3. What is the significance of metastable states in laser operation?

Metastable states play a crucial role in laser operation as they provide the population inversion necessary for laser amplification and light emission. Without the presence of metastable states, lasers would not be able to function effectively.

4. How do metastable states affect the output of a laser?

The presence of metastable states in a laser allows for the amplification of light and the production of a coherent, monochromatic beam. The stability and lifetime of the metastable state also contribute to the stability and coherence of the laser output.

5. Can metastable states be found in all types of lasers?

Yes, metastable states can be found in a variety of laser systems, including gas, solid-state, and semiconductor lasers. However, the specific energy levels and mechanisms for creating these states may vary depending on the type of laser.