Truss Homework: Solving for Joint Forces using Method of Joints

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the support reactions and starting point for solving a bridge problem with multiple forces at each joint. The suggested approach is to first determine the support reactions and then start at joints with only 2 unknown member forces.
bnosam

Homework Statement

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2h65cm1.jpg[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
All triangles: angles A = B = 53.13 degrees, angle C = 73.74 degrees

from cosine law and the 180 degree ruleBut it looks like all of the joints in the bridge have more than 2 forces? Which joint should I start at?

I was going to start at B but it looks like i have the 3000 lb force, then BC, BE and BA forces which would be too many.

Physics news on Phys.org
bnosam said:

Homework Statement

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2h65cm1.jpg[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
All triangles: angles A = B = 53.13 degrees, angle C = 73.74 degrees

from cosine law and the 180 degree ruleBut it looks like all of the joints in the bridge have more than 2 forces? Which joint should I start at?

I was going to start at B but it looks like i have the 3000 lb force, then BC, BE and BA forces which would be too many.
Always determine the support reactions first. Then start at a joint or joints where there are just 2 unknown member forces, then proceed to the others.

1. What is the Method of Joints in Truss Analysis?

The Method of Joints is a technique used in structural analysis to determine the internal forces in each member of a truss, a type of rigid, triangular structure commonly used in architecture and engineering. It involves analyzing the equilibrium of forces at each joint or connection point in the truss.

2. How does the Method of Joints work?

The Method of Joints works by assuming that all the joints in a truss are in equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on each joint are balanced. By applying the principles of statics, such as the sum of forces in any direction and the sum of moments around any point being equal to zero, the internal forces in the truss members can be determined.

3. What are the advantages of using the Method of Joints?

The Method of Joints is a relatively simple and straightforward technique that can be used to analyze a wide range of truss structures. It also does not require any specialized software or complex calculations, making it accessible to anyone with a basic understanding of statics and mechanics.

4. What are the limitations of the Method of Joints?

The Method of Joints assumes that all the joints in a truss are perfectly pinned and that the members are connected without any friction. In reality, this may not always be the case, which can result in slightly different values for the internal forces in the truss members. Additionally, the Method of Joints is not suitable for analyzing more complex structures, such as frames or beams with varying cross-sections.

5. What are some practical applications of the Method of Joints?

The Method of Joints is commonly used in the design and analysis of truss bridges, roofs, and other structures where the forces acting on the members are primarily axial. It is also used in the field of civil engineering for designing and optimizing truss structures in buildings and other infrastructure projects.