Methods for convergence divergence

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence or divergence of the series \sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n^2+n+1}} and the use of the comparison test. The speaker also mentions a potential confusion with indexes and clarifies the correct way to write the partial sum. They also mention the use of the p-series test to show that the series converges. The conversation ends with a clarification on the difference between series and sequences and the importance of understanding the convergence of a sequence in relation to the convergence of a series.
Alem2000
I have [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n^2+n+1}}[/tex] and I need to show that it converges or diverges. I choose to do the comparison test making [tex]A_n=\sum_{n=1}^\infty{\frac{1}{n^2+n+1}}[/tex] and[tex] B_n=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^2+n}[/tex] so far so good? Okay well [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow0}B_n=0[/tex] so does [tex]A_n[/tex] converge...i see that the upper limit of [tex]A_n[/tex] would turn out to be [tex]0[/tex] what does this mean...is it valid to use the rule I used?

what if did [tex]\int_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2+x+1}dx[/tex] is that possible or is there no need?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here, you are confusing indexes!

Your expressions have no meaning; what convergence in this case means, is that the SEQUENCE OF PARTIAL (FINITE!) SUMS CONVERGE.

Hence, your index in that sequence SHOULD BE THE UPPER LIMIT VALUE IN THE SUM, not the summation index you've used!

We therefore have the partial sum:
[tex]A_{N}=\sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{1}{n^{2}+n+1}[/tex]

Our question is therefore:
Does the sequence [tex]A_{N}[/tex] converge as [tex]N\to\infty[/tex] ??

To help you on your way, note that:
[tex]A_{N}\leq{B}_{N},B_{N}=\sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{1}{n^{2}}[/tex]

thats a p series and its greater than one...easy...so [tex] A_n[/tex] must converge...is that my answer?

That's right.

You are also confusing "series" and "sequences". If
[tex] B_n=\sum_{n=1}^{N}\frac{1}{n^2+n}[/tex]

then [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow0}B_n=0[/tex]
is NOT true. What is true is that the SEQUENCE {Bn[/b]} goes to 0 and that tells you nothing about the series! (If the sequence did NOT converge to 0, that would tell you that the series does not converge.)

FAQ: Methods for convergence divergence

What is the definition of "convergence" and "divergence" in scientific methods?

Convergence refers to the coming together or agreement of multiple lines of evidence in support of a scientific theory or hypothesis. Divergence, on the other hand, refers to the lack of agreement or consistency among different lines of evidence. In other words, convergence is a sign of validation and support for a theory, while divergence may indicate the need for further investigation or refinement of the theory.

How do scientists determine if a method is converging or diverging?

Scientists use a variety of statistical tests and analyses to evaluate the consistency and agreement among different results. These tests can determine if there is significant convergence or divergence among the data, and help researchers make conclusions about the validity of their methods.

What are some common methods for measuring convergence and divergence?

Some common methods for measuring convergence and divergence include correlation analyses, meta-analyses, and systematic reviews. These methods allow scientists to compare and combine data from multiple studies, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the convergence or divergence of results.

Why is it important to consider convergence and divergence in scientific research?

Considering convergence and divergence is crucial for ensuring the validity and reliability of scientific research. By evaluating the consistency and agreement among different lines of evidence, scientists can strengthen their conclusions and make more accurate predictions about the natural world.

What are some potential implications of finding convergence or divergence in scientific research?

The implications of finding convergence or divergence in scientific research can vary depending on the context and field of study. In some cases, convergence may provide strong evidence in support of a theory, while divergence may indicate the need for further investigation or refinement of the theory. Additionally, finding convergence or divergence can also lead to new research questions and avenues of exploration.