Optimizing Gravitational Redshift Measurements: Techniques and Targets

In summary, optimizing gravitational redshift measurements involves using various techniques and targeting specific objects in order to accurately measure the effects of gravitational redshift. Techniques such as spectroscopy, interferometry, and pulsar timing can be used to improve the precision and accuracy of these measurements. Targets of interest include white dwarf stars, neutron stars, and black holes, as they exhibit strong gravitational fields that can produce observable redshift effects. By optimizing these measurements, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of gravity and its effects on the universe.
bigray69
what is the best method to measure gravitational redshift using a small telescope ?
and in which stars the effect is the strongest ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It can't be done. You need huge [think observatory size] aperature to gather enough light to take such measurements.

bigray69 said:
what is the best method to measure gravitational redshift using a small telescope ?

The gravitational redshift has been measured with the Sun and a small telescope.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x76qp33619185754/

It requires a specialized filter, but I think this is something that can be build in someones garage.

Pardon my extrasolar assumption. I still doubt you can do this reliably without very expensive instruments.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Pardon my extrasolar assumption. I still doubt you can do this reliably without very expensive instruments.

There's "I'll get sell my car expensive" and "We'll need a appropriation from Congress expensive". Looking over how to build a magnetic-optical filter that will let you see solar gravitational redshift, I'm guessing that it can be built for about $10K in parts.

Also, if you want to detect gravitational redshift in your backyard, reproducing the Pound-Rebka experiment could be done on a budget.

Finally, GPS relies on General relativity to work, and if we thinking about it, I think we could come up with a way of hacking some GPS devices to detect gravitational redshift.

bigray69 said:

You're already paying taxes so this can be done. Enjoy the results! Most of them can be found on Wikipedia or on NASA resources.

twofish-quant said:
... Looking over how to build a magnetic-optical filter that will let you see solar gravitational redshift, I'm guessing that it can be built for about $10K in parts.
I deem that 'expensive', and, useless for extrasolar redshift measurements using an amateur size telescope.

What is redshift and why is it important to measure?

Redshift is a phenomenon where light from objects in space appears to shift towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. This is caused by the Doppler effect, which is the change in frequency of light due to the motion of the source. Measuring redshift is important because it provides valuable information about the distance and movement of celestial objects.

What are the different methods used to measure redshift?

There are several methods used to measure redshift, including spectroscopy, photometry, and interferometry. Spectroscopy involves analyzing the spectrum of light emitted by an object to determine its redshift. Photometry measures the brightness of objects at different wavelengths, while interferometry uses the interference patterns of light to calculate redshift.

How accurate are these methods in measuring redshift?

The accuracy of redshift measurements depends on the method used and the quality of the data collected. However, most methods have a high level of accuracy, with errors typically ranging from 0.01% to 5%. Improvements in technology and data analysis techniques have also led to more precise measurements in recent years.

What are the limitations of these methods in measuring redshift?

One limitation of redshift measurement methods is that they are only accurate for objects that are relatively close to Earth. For objects that are extremely far away, the redshift measurements can be affected by other factors such as cosmic expansion and gravitational lensing. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by the quality of the instruments and the conditions of the observation.

How do scientists use redshift measurements to study the universe?

Redshift measurements are crucial in studying the universe as they provide information about the age, size, and expansion of the universe. By measuring the redshift of different objects, scientists can also determine the distances between them and map out the large-scale structure of the universe. Redshift measurements also help in understanding the evolution and behavior of galaxies, as well as the distribution of dark matter and dark energy in the universe.