Understanding Metric Engineering: Demystifying the Concept of Modifying Metrics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "metric engineering," specifically in relation to spacetime metric. The speakers also mention their skepticism towards the claims made about this concept, referencing sources from the internet.
kleinwolf
I read someday this job name on the net. I didn't looked inside, but just thought how you could modify the metric...i could only think about the following esoterical method : by matter+antimatter->nomatter+energy..but energy->GR->spacetime metric--->metric engineering ?? Is this meant by this term, or something else ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That does seem to be the context -

here - http://www.geocities.com/zcphysicsms/chap12.htm
I haven't checked the physics - but I am ususally skeptical of such claims.

and here - The Challenge To Create The Space Drive - http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/bpp/TM-107289.htm
Well someone at NASA is serious - but again I am usually skeptical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the concept of Metric Engineering. Metric Engineering is a term used in the field of measurement and data analysis, specifically in the context of modifying or creating new metrics to better understand and analyze data. It involves using statistical techniques and mathematical models to manipulate and transform data into more meaningful and useful metrics.

While your idea of using matter and antimatter to modify metrics is interesting, it is not the approach typically used in the field of Metric Engineering. Instead, it involves more practical and data-driven methods such as data normalization, standardization, and aggregation. These techniques help in eliminating biases and inconsistencies in data, making it easier to interpret and compare.

I hope this helps in demystifying the concept of Metric Engineering for you. It is an important tool in the world of data analysis and plays a crucial role in helping organizations make informed decisions based on reliable and accurate data.

What is metric engineering?

Metric engineering is the process of modifying metrics, or quantitative measures, to better suit specific needs or goals. It involves analyzing and adjusting the way data is collected, calculated, and presented in order to provide more meaningful and actionable insights.

Why is metric engineering important?

Metric engineering allows us to tailor metrics to fit our specific needs and objectives. This can help us better understand and improve our processes, products, and services. It also allows us to track progress and make data-driven decisions.

What are some common metrics used in engineering?

Some common metrics used in engineering include efficiency, productivity, quality, cost, and cycle time. These can be applied to various aspects of a project or process, such as design, production, and testing.

How do you modify metrics?

The process of modifying metrics involves identifying the objectives and needs of the project or process, determining the relevant data to collect, choosing appropriate calculation methods, and presenting the data in a clear and meaningful way. This may involve adjusting formulas, changing the units of measurement, or creating new metrics.

What are some challenges of metric engineering?

One challenge of metric engineering is ensuring that the data being collected is accurate and relevant. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the project or process in order to choose appropriate metrics and methods. Additionally, communication and understanding between all stakeholders is crucial for effective metric engineering.