Solve Microscope Q: Sample Distance w/ 160mm Tube Length & 800X Mag

• Thread starter surfahgirl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary, to find the distance of the sample from the objective lens, you need to use the magnification equations and the known focal lengths of the objective and eyepiece. When the microscope is adjusted for relaxed viewing, the image formed by the objective is at the focus of the eyepiece, allowing you to calculate the distance to the object.
surfahgirl

Homework Statement

A microscope with a tube length of 160 mm achieves a total magnification of 800X with a 40X objective and a 20X eyepiece. The microscope is focused for viewing with a relaxed eye.

How far is the sample from the objective lens?

Homework Equations

M=(Meyepiece)(Mobjective)
Meyepiece=25/Feyepiece
Mobjective = -L/fobjective

The Attempt at a Solution

so I found the fobjective to be 0.4cm and the feyepiece to be 1.25

I'm just not sure what to do next. Which objective do I use to find the distance of the sample? or do you combine them somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
surfahgirl said:

Homework Statement

A microscope with a tube length of 160 mm achieves a total magnification of 800X with a 40X objective and a 20X eyepiece. The microscope is focused for viewing with a relaxed eye.

How far is the sample from the objective lens?

Homework Equations

M=(Meyepiece)(Mobjective)
Meyepiece=25/Feyepiece
Mobjective = -L/fobjective

The Attempt at a Solution

so I found the fobjective to be 0.4cm and the feyepiece to be 1.25

I'm just not sure what to do next. Which objective do I use to find the distance of the sample? or do you combine them somehow?

When the microscope is adjusted for relaxed viewing, it means the light emanating consists of parallel rays. That means the image formed by the objective is at the focus of the eyepiece.
You thus can work out the focal length of the objective [looks like you have, but I haven't checked whether your stated answer is correct] and the distance to the image , so should be able to get the distance to the object.

1. What is the sample distance for a 160mm tube length and 800X magnification?

The sample distance for a 160mm tube length and 800X magnification is approximately 0.2 micrometers, or 200 nanometers. This means that the distance between the objective lens and the sample being viewed is 0.2 micrometers.

2. How does the sample distance affect the image quality?

The sample distance is an important factor in determining the resolution and clarity of the image. A shorter sample distance allows for a higher resolution and better image quality, while a longer sample distance may result in a lower resolution and less clear image.

3. Can the sample distance be adjusted on a microscope?

Yes, the sample distance can be adjusted on a microscope by changing the position of the objective lens. Some microscopes also have a fine focus knob that allows for more precise adjustments of the sample distance.

4. Is there an ideal sample distance for viewing samples with a 160mm tube length and 800X magnification?

The ideal sample distance for viewing samples with a 160mm tube length and 800X magnification may vary depending on the specific sample and the desired level of detail. However, a general guideline is to aim for a sample distance of 0.2 micrometers for optimal image quality.

5. How does the tube length affect the sample distance on a microscope?

The tube length of a microscope is the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece. It does not directly affect the sample distance, but it does impact the magnification and field of view. A longer tube length typically results in a higher magnification and a smaller field of view, which may require adjustments to the sample distance for optimal viewing.