Midterm Review: Solving for Friction Work on a Rough Incline

• Thread starter Sny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the question asks for the work done by friction between a 5.0 kg block and a rough 30.0° incline, with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.436. The normal force is equal to mgcos(theta) and the work is determined by calculating the force of friction (normal force times µ) and multiplying it by the distance traveled. The answer may have a negative sign due to the negative acceleration caused by friction.
Sny
Doing some midterm review and I got stuck on this question. Starting from rest, a 5.0 kg block slides 2.1 m down a rough 30.0° incline. The coefficent of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is µk = 0.436. Determine the work done by the friction force between block and incline.

My first thought was mgµk times distance, since work equals force times distance, but that didn't work. I'm not sure if the fact that friction is working against mg(sin theta) has anything to do with anything. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
friction force is the normal force times µ, on a horizontal surface, the normal force surely is equal to mg.. but your block is on an incline plane. you have to do a some calculation in order to find the normal..
and work done is Fd.. you knew that, right? :smile:

Normal force = mgcos (theta). (5kg)(9.8N)(cos 30) = 42.435

Force of friction = (42.435)(.436) = 18.502

Work = (Friction)(distance) = (18.502)(2.1) = 38.85

So, where'd I go wrong?

It looks alright...After all,the problem's asking about the work done by friction.Yyou could add a (-) sign to the final result,though,because of the negative acceleration due to friction.

Daniel.

Related to Midterm Review: Solving for Friction Work on a Rough Incline

What is a "little forces question"?

A "little forces question" refers to a scientific inquiry about the various forces that act on objects in our everyday environment, such as gravity, friction, and tension.

Why are "little forces questions" important to study?

Understanding the forces that act on objects allows us to explain and predict the behavior of objects, which is essential in fields such as engineering and physics.

What are some examples of "little forces questions"?

Examples of "little forces questions" include: What is the force required to lift a 10 kg object? How does friction affect the movement of a car? What is the net force acting on an object in equilibrium?

How do scientists investigate "little forces questions"?

Scientists use various methods, such as experiments, mathematical equations, and computer simulations, to investigate "little forces questions" and gather data to support their findings.

How do "little forces questions" relate to other scientific concepts?

"Little forces questions" are closely related to concepts such as motion, energy, and equilibrium. They also play a role in many other fields, including biology, chemistry, and geology.