Min Period of oscillation of a rod

In summary: Since the square root function is "monotonically increasing", the maximum (minimum) value of the square root function will correspond to the maximum (minimum) value of its argument. So, we can find the maximum (minimum) value of a square root function by finding the maximum (minimum) value of its argument.
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

An iron rod of length L is hung at a common point with threads of length 'l' which are attached to the two ends of the rod. The rod is displaced a bit in the plane of the threads. What is the length of the threads if the period of the swinging of the rod is the least, and what is this period?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Moment of Inertia of the rod about O is $$ I = \frac{ML^2}{12}+My^2 $$

Write torque equation , ## I\ddotθ = -Mgyθ ##

$$ \ddotθ = -\frac{Mgy}{I}θ $$

$$ ω^2 = \frac{Mgy}{I} $$

$$ ω = \sqrt{\frac{Mgy}{I}} $$

$$ T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{I}{Mgy}} $$

$$ T = 2\pi \frac{(l^2-\frac{L^2}{6})^\frac{1}{2}}{g(l^2-\frac{L^2}{4})^\frac{1}{4}} $$

Should I minimize this ? This looks a little more complicated than usual .

Edit : Fixed the errors

Attachments

• Rod.GIF
    Rod.GIF
    1 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tanya Sharma said:
Moment of Inertia of the rod about O is $$ I = \frac{ML^2}{3}+My^2 $$

Check this expression. What is the moment of inertia of a rod about its center of mass?

Otherwise, your work looks good to me.

You might find it easier to express the period in terms of the variable y (instead of ##l##) and minimize the square of the period with respect to y.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Check this expression. What is the moment of inertia of a rod about its center of mass?

OK...I have fixed the errors. Does post#1 look alright now?

TSny said:
You might find it easier to express the period in terms of the variable y (instead of ##l##) and minimize the square of the period with respect to y.

$$ T = 2\pi \frac{(y^2+\frac{L^2}{12})^\frac{1}{2}}{g(y)^\frac{1}{4}} $$

$$ T^2 = 4\pi^2 \frac{(y^2+\frac{L^2}{12})}{g^2(y)^\frac{1}{2}} $$

Now I should minimize T2 . Right ?

Tanya Sharma said:
O

$$ T = 2\pi \frac{(y^2+\frac{L^2}{12})^\frac{1}{2}}{g(y)^\frac{1}{4}} $$

In the denominator, the 1/4 power on y is not correct.

Now I should minimize T2 . Right ?

Right.

Likes 1 person
The minimum value occurs at y=L/6 or at ## l= \frac{\sqrt{10}}{6}L ##

Is it correct ?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
The minimum value occurs at y=L/6 or at ## l= \frac{\sqrt{10}}{6}L ##

Is it correct ?

That's not what I get.

The minimum value occurs at ##y=\frac{L}{\sqrt{6}}## or at ##l= \sqrt{\frac{5}{12}}L##

Does this make sense ?

Still not what I'm getting. What is your expression for T2?

Another attempt

The minimum value occurs at ##y=\frac{L}{\sqrt{12}}## or at ##l= \frac{L}{\sqrt{3}}##

Tanya Sharma said:
$$ T^2 = 4\pi^2 \frac{(y^2+\frac{L^2}{12})}{g^2(y)^\frac{1}{2}} $$
You should get into the habit of checking equations for dimensional consistency. The exponents of both g and y are wrong in the denominator.
I agree with TSny that you are still getting the wrong answer. Please post all your steps from the above.
Clearly the constant factor in the equation isn't going to affect the value of y, so you can dispense with that.

Tanya Sharma said:
Another attempt

The minimum value occurs at ##y=\frac{L}{\sqrt{12}}## or at ##l= \frac{L}{\sqrt{3}}##

Bingo.

Thanks.

TSny said:

This is something I would like to understand .

This technique is used often where we need to max/min a function involving square root and instead we max/min the square of the function .How do we know that the maximum and minimum of both the function and its square occur at the same point ?

Last edited:
The square root function increases whenever its argument increases. It's a "monatonically increasing" function. So, the square root function will take on its maximum (minimum) value where its argument is maximum (minimum).

Related to Min Period of oscillation of a rod

1. What factors affect the minimum period of oscillation of a rod?

The minimum period of oscillation of a rod is affected by its length, mass, and the material it is made of. The longer the rod, the slower the oscillations will be. Similarly, a heavier rod or a rod made of a denser material will have a longer period of oscillation.

2. How is the minimum period of oscillation of a rod calculated?

The minimum period of oscillation of a rod can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the rod, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can the minimum period of oscillation of a rod be changed?

Yes, the minimum period of oscillation of a rod can be changed by altering its length, mass, or material. For example, if the length of the rod is decreased, the period of oscillation will be shorter.

4. How does the minimum period of oscillation of a rod relate to its natural frequency?

The minimum period of oscillation of a rod is equal to one cycle of its natural frequency. This means that the rod will complete one full oscillation in the same amount of time it takes to complete one full natural frequency cycle.

5. How does the minimum period of oscillation of a rod affect its stability?

The minimum period of oscillation of a rod is directly related to its stability. A shorter period of oscillation means the rod is more stable and less likely to tip over. This is why tall structures such as skyscrapers have shorter, thicker rods for increased stability.