Minimize the circuit for this expression

In summary, the conversation is about drawing a circuit diagram from a minimize expression and determining which of the two diagrams is correct. The speaker also asks for clarification on whether they need to assume all terms and inversions or make their own inverted terms.
momentum
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Template is shown
Summary: circuit diagram from minimize expression

I am drawing a circuit diagram from a minimize expression. I have come up with two circuit diagrams that give same result.
I am not sure which of the circuit diagram (1) or (2) is correct. Are both my diagram correct? Need help

ZyXRzrn.png

Physics news on Phys.org
(thread moved to the schoolwork forums)

I don't understand this in the first circuit. Is it an error?

1574180061806.png

No. This is not error

momentum said:
No. This is not error
So inverting b- gives you back b- ?

That is not b- . I crossed out that.

Let me post clean image again.. please see this
jjHWM9D.png

Well, they are the same then. The only difference is that you explicitly show how you generate b- in the 2nd case. Are you supposed to assume that you have all terms and inversions, or do you need to make your own inverted terms?

berkeman said:
The only difference is that you explicitly show how you generate b- in the 2nd case.

did you mean 1st case?

momentum said:
did you mean 1st case?
Oops, you are correct. I meant your first case. In the 2nd case, you seem to have b- available to use as an input without having to make it yourself.

What does it mean to "minimize the circuit" for an expression?

Minimizing the circuit for an expression means simplifying the logic gates and connections in the circuit in order to reduce the number of components and optimize its efficiency.

Why is it important to minimize a circuit?

Minimizing a circuit can reduce its cost, power consumption, and overall size. It can also improve the speed and reliability of the circuit.

What steps are involved in minimizing a circuit?

The steps involved in minimizing a circuit typically include simplifying the expression using Boolean algebra, creating a truth table, determining the essential prime implicants, and using a Karnaugh map to combine terms and reduce the number of gates needed.

What tools or techniques can be used to minimize a circuit?

There are several tools and techniques that can be used to minimize a circuit, such as Boolean algebra, truth tables, Karnaugh maps, and Quine-McCluskey method. There are also software programs and online tools available to assist with circuit minimization.

What are some potential challenges or limitations in minimizing a circuit?

Some potential challenges or limitations in minimizing a circuit include dealing with complex expressions, ensuring all input and output combinations are covered, and balancing between minimizing the circuit and maintaining its functionality. It can also be time-consuming and require a good understanding of Boolean algebra and circuit design principles.