Minimize the time to do a delivery route

• Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a way to optimize delivery routes in order to minimize time. The problem is described as a combinatorics problem and the speaker suggests using a TSP algorithm to find an approximate solution. The use of mapquest or Google maps is also suggested to determine driving times between stops.
fourier jr
my boss says he'd give me a raise if i figured out a way to do the delivery routes faster than we already do it. the number of stops to make would be the same but the order might be different in order to minimize the time (maybe not necessarily the distance) it would take to do the route, if possible. (might already have the fastest-possible ordering of deliveries) there are also some constraints, like some deliveries have to be there precisely at a specific time or before/after a specific time, one-way streets, etc. that sounds like some sort of discrete math (combinatorics?) problem, in which case I'm out of my element. can anyone point me in the right direction?

edit: i guess there are n! ways to do n deliveries but how to figure out which one is fastest I'm not sure. for my work that would be about 20! possibilities for each delivery van (2 of them). i think most of the orderings would be silly though so i could probably rule out most of them. what about looking up the addresses of all the places, using mapquest to find out how far away they are & adding up the distances that way? i could also suppose the driver goes no faster than a certain speed like 60km/h. i guess that's a start, i'll get a list of all our accounts tonite.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should see if there are some natural sub-groups of delivery stops where you can reduce the traversing time.

This is the traveling salesman problem and there is no known good way to find the perfect route. However many approximate solvers do exist, and you could try something found at
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=travelling+salesman+solver
To use a TSP algorithm you'll need to know the approximate driving times between each pair of stops. You could try to compensate for traffic congenstion or just use, say, Google maps to get approximate times.

1. What is the purpose of minimizing the time to do a delivery route?

The purpose of minimizing the time to do a delivery route is to increase efficiency and reduce costs for the delivery company. By optimizing the route, the company can save on fuel, labor, and other resources.

2. How is the time to do a delivery route calculated?

The time to do a delivery route is calculated by taking into account the distance between each stop, the speed of the delivery vehicle, and any potential obstacles such as traffic or road closures. This calculation can be done manually or with the use of specialized software.

3. What factors can affect the time to do a delivery route?

There are several factors that can affect the time to do a delivery route, including the number of stops, the distance between each stop, the speed of the delivery vehicle, traffic conditions, and road closures. Other factors such as weather and vehicle maintenance can also have an impact.

4. How can the time to do a delivery route be minimized?

The time to do a delivery route can be minimized by optimizing the route using specialized software, considering traffic patterns and road closures, and adjusting the speed and driving habits of the delivery vehicle. Additionally, having a well-organized and efficient loading and unloading process can also help minimize the time of the route.

5. What are the benefits of minimizing the time to do a delivery route?

The benefits of minimizing the time to do a delivery route include increased efficiency, reduced costs, improved customer satisfaction, and the ability to complete more deliveries in a shorter amount of time. It can also lead to a more environmentally friendly operation by reducing fuel consumption and emissions.